Oxidised Iron Finish on doors

Adam2

So we really really wanted a door like the pic below and a double garage door to match. The view of our house from the street is largely the garage and the house is built down a hill so looks fairly modest from the front so we wanted to hint at what lies behind the facade.

We can get the front door like the below image but getting the company to do panels to apply to either a sectional or up & over door is proving somewhat excessive on the budget! Especially as the garage door has to be industrial to take the weight! (note it is iron paint applied to wood not actual iron!)

So looking at other ways to achieve this and saw the video below from an Aussie company. Has anyone tried applying this kind of treatment to wood? I can get hold of Tricoya which is apparently the go-to base for this. May try and get some samples of the paint etc to see how it goes ? But would be good to hear if any artistic types have done something similar. 

image.thumb.png.67fd17e54b9875e7f076a61090131bf8.png

• 7 months later...
On 10/09/2022 at 15:53, janette said:

Hi, did you get your door from Camel Glass? It’s the only supplier we’ve found that does this. Thanks!

Hi yes we did and it's fantastic. I think my local joinery mentioned that a more local firm does this also but too late now.

• Like 1

My wife forks with these kind of finishes as an esty side hustle and ships most of them to the USA:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MetallicDesignStudio?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=672140894

- Take a sound substrate (a wooden door would work; most of her sales are aluminium composite panels as the base canvas)

- Keying and priming is straightforward (and then all materials behave the same way)

- Applying the metallic base is tricky (metal particles in a binder of some kind) if you want to have texture

- Aging the metal particles is an absolute black art (just how rusty is rusty; which acids applied using which methods give which colours)

- You then need to run over the top with an appropriate varnish/lacquer to retain the finish (which of course changes all the colours)

How much do you enjoy repetition?

I'd say it took about two litres over three months to work out the basics; 12 months to be able to produce a particular colour / pattern finish first time most of the time.

Most of the manufacturers are Italian (venetian plaster / marble effects being their main product lines) and visiting one of the trade shows is a good way to pick up application tips.

She'd probably say "No job it too big. No fee is too small." 😂

Ask how much a plain door is. The "from £4.5k" leaves plenty of room for final finish... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/09/2022 at 22:01, Adam2 said:

20220613_162442.jpg

That looks absolutely fantastic! Is that and anthracite grey frame? We have that colour but single side light. What colour handle did you opt for. We’re in Suffolk so I don’t think we’ll conflict 😁

• Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 19:42, markocosic said:

My wife forks with these kind of finishes as an esty side hustle and ships most of them to the USA:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MetallicDesignStudio?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=672140894

- Take a sound substrate (a wooden door would work; most of her sales are aluminium composite panels as the base canvas)

- Keying and priming is straightforward (and then all materials behave the same way)

- Applying the metallic base is tricky (metal particles in a binder of some kind) if you want to have texture

- Aging the metal particles is an absolute black art (just how rusty is rusty; which acids applied using which methods give which colours)

- You then need to run over the top with an appropriate varnish/lacquer to retain the finish (which of course changes all the colours)

How much do you enjoy repetition?

I'd say it took about two litres over three months to work out the basics; 12 months to be able to produce a particular colour / pattern finish first time most of the time.

Most of the manufacturers are Italian (venetian plaster / marble effects being their main product lines) and visiting one of the trade shows is a good way to pick up application tips.

She'd probably say "No job it too big. No fee is too small." 😂

Ask how much a plain door is. The "from £4.5k" leaves plenty of room for final finish... 

6 minutes ago, janette said:

That looks absolutely fantastic! Is that and anthracite grey frame?

Hi - thanks, we're really pleased with it. Yes Anthracite frame to match glazing frames etc. Handle - ha ha I don't remember, it's still covered up will have a look to remind myself what we ordered

She doesn't make / post doors @janette

Too much heartache involved in ordering the doors themselves and you don't want to be the one to "sell the door" and therefore be the one to warrant all the door mechanisms etc.

If you had a door already (with a "weatherproof" painted finish already) she could probably key/prime this and apply the same kind of finish to it; which would be as durable as the varnish/lacquer applied over the top. Door would need to be demounted for this though as you can't work the finish vertically. Quite the faff to arrange during a build. Not so bad as an addon in spring/summer later though.

Why dont you just get a vinyl wrap like the car people do. 

You can get them printed with anything. Lots of people doing fake "rustry" cars. Cheap as chips by comparison.

Just found this too: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165406795119?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAjw7eSZBhB8EiwA60kCW5c0yr-uoZyw95AO0qgYWTSnlyg1MV53R74hw10CzlqW71xbzIbQOxoC7C4QAvD_BwE

• Like 1

That could be fun - vinyl - but hard to believe it will quite look the same 🙂 But I may buy a piece to see if I can do anything with vinyl on my camper van as it has some rust anyway so this would blend in if they could do big sheets