Permitted development on houses built after 2018

Lewis88

I’m quite new to this and have currently been advised to withdraw and amend my planning application. The reason for this is the eave height and general size of the build. I am planning on changing my roof from gable ends to a hipped design in order to get planning granted quickly. I was hoping to change this back either through a minor material amendment or through permitted development after the house is complete. I have since found that permitted development has changed but I cannot see any legislation (for permitted development) that refers to new builds after 2018. Have they been completely withdrawn for houses built after 2018? Or do my search skills need improving?

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What makes you think building a hipped roof onto a house with gable ends (and likely the houses around you have gable ends as well) is going to find favour with the planners?

Ive already submitted a plan which had gable ends and the planning officer has stated that she is of the opinion that a gable end roof would be too imposing to the neighbouring property which is approximately 10m away. The neighbouring property in question had no issues with the original plan. There is a on hipped roof in the street  however that property is approximately 20m away. I’m of the opinion that changing the plan to hipped would ease any concerns of this without imposing height restrictions on the eave height. 

Thank you very much for doing some of your own research before posting on BH. Just in case you haven't managed to read it, here is the latest updated guidance

This page is the one to which the Planner may well been have referring in her advice to you ; its the bit about

...building operations which do not materially affect the external appearance of a building. The term ‘materially affect’ has no statutory definition, but is linked to the significance of the change which is made to a building’s external appearance.

Since your application appears at this remove to involve what might be considered as  affecting the external  appearance of a building,  (handily, materially  is not defined) the planner has - probably correctly -  advised you to withdraw and amend your application.  And thus, is saving you money .....

Edited by ToughButterCup

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

What makes you think building a hipped roof onto a house with gable ends (and likely the houses around you have gable ends as well) is going to find favour with the planners?

Ive already submitted a plan which had gable ends and the planning officer has stated that she is of the opinion that a hipped roof would allow more light to the neighbouring property. The neighbouring property in question had no issues with the original plan 

Thanks for the advice, I’m quite happy to make the amendments but the only one I am apprehensive of is the hipped roof, I have made alterations to try to bring the eave height down but I am really not keen on the hipped roof design and think it detracts from the overall design of the house. I was hoping that I could get planning for the hipped roof and submit a minor materials amendment on the grounds that I could complete the proposed work under PD. If I understand correctly hip to gable is fine under permitted development however this work would need to be under 50m3 and only be acceptable after the house is signed off. Is my logic wrong? 

2 hours ago, Lewis88 said:

If I understand correctly hip to gable is fine under permitted development however this work would need to be under 50m3 and only be acceptable after the house is signed off. Is my logic wrong?

That is correct. That is on the assumption the LPA will not or have not removed your PD rights.