Can you remove the roof tiles without it being 'demolition'?

DG123

Hi,we expect to get planning permission very soon  but would like to remove the roof tiles from a low building ourselves to save money (we will follow guidelines and will likely use a MEWP because possibly a fragile roof). The builder and digger guy will then a few weeks later, demolish the rest. Do we need to inform the council prior to taking the roof tiles off? Is it considered demolishing? Heras fencing we own already in situ, currently working out appropriate signage. Builder will do the build (blockwork and roof). Architect will give us construction drawings so that should help planning other trades. Cheers.

PS We know not to demolish/remove anything until planning permission has been granted.

Edited by DG123

As somebody who spent days/weeks doing exactly this.... Don't bother. Take a digger to the whole lot. It's not worth the time/money/life to strip a roof unless you have valuable slates or similar. Between mobile tower and telehandler, stripping our roof cost just shy of £1k. I got £850 for the slates.

• Like 1

Removing slates or tiles using a mewp is slow and back breaking. (Leaning out of the cage to reach the roof isn’t easy). As above, cut your losses and save your time and energy and let the digger do the work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markc said:

Removing slates or tiles using a mewp is slow and back breaking. (Leaning out of the cage to reach the roof isn’t easy). As above, cut your losses and save your time and energy and let the digger do the work.

Plus 1

My wife and myself removed 2000 slates of a low building Breaking around 250 in the process Using a towel Scaf at gutter height Using a cherry picker would take days and be expensive to hire 

If you can do it without much outlay Just your time It would be worth doing 

Stripping a roof in planners eyes won’t constitute a start 

• Like 1