Blue Vain Marble Tiles

learner

17 minutes ago, learner said:

Hi

Can i buy real marble or granite  'white with blue vain' tiles for bathroom floor and walls??

Also can i tile my vaulted ceiling??

Yes and yes 

Use bagged adhesive 

and don’t forget to seal the backs of each tile with SBR 

1 hour ago, nod said:

and don’t forget to seal the backs of each tile with SBR 

does that apply to any types of marble tile? We are about to install carrara marble which has a honed finish. I had understood that the installation is similar to terrazzo: Stick it to the floor and walls with adhesive, wait a few days for it to fully dry. Then seal it, then grout it, then wash off any stains from the grout. Why would you seal the backs of each tile and what is SBR?

4 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

does that apply to any types of marble tile? We are about to install carrara marble which has a honed finish. I had understood that the installation is similar to terrazzo: Stick it to the floor and walls with adhesive, wait a few days for it to fully dry. Then seal it, then grout it, then wash off any stains from the grout. Why would you seal the backs of each tile and what is SBR?

You just need to careful of the adhesive bleeding through Sealing the backs with a sponge takes about 5 seconds per tile 

Not worth the risk 

I’ve laid miles of terrazzo Mostly shopping centers Very easy as the edges are ground down afterwards Then polished No joints 

2 minutes ago, nod said:

You just need to careful of the adhesive bleeding through Sealing the backs with a sponge takes about 5 seconds per tile 

Not worth the risk 

I’ve laid miles of terrazzo Mostly shopping centers Very easy as the edges are ground down afterwards Then polished No joints 

So does marble behave differently to Terrazo? I guess that would make sense given marble is a stone, whereas terrazo is made from portland cement.

With marble, if you seal the underside before laying it, how does the moisture in the adhesive dry/evaporate?

3 minutes ago, learner said:

I cant find real Marble tile any where other than from china...

This is what I'm looking for but not porcelain...

https://www.luxurytiles.co.uk/aleotti-royal-blue-marble-effect-120x60cm-tile.html?id=230643470

Have a look at Mandarin Stone and Domus. Neither are cheap, but Mandarin Stone has a few ranges which are reasonable. Domus is very expensive.

If not, Claybrook might do marble tiles as well, not sure.

The other (much smaller) company I know which do Marble is Robel, in Stoke Newington. Although London based they will post samples nationwide. But the marble samples I got from them were turkish, not italian. They did however have a beautiful pink tumbled marble that was reasonably priced.

21 minutes ago, learner said:

I cant find real Marble tile any where other than from china...

This is what I'm looking for but not porcelain...

https://www.luxurytiles.co.uk/aleotti-royal-blue-marble-effect-120x60cm-tile.html?id=230643470

Rocia will either have it or get it in for you 

The last marble I used was 600 m2 on a Synagog in Manchester Brought in from a quart where Christ walked So I was told 

I emailed to ask how long my big order would be They told me it was a tiny order As most orders where ten of thousands of m2 s Going to Jewish  owned shopping centres in the US 

Then he told me the Christ thingy AGAIN ?

No seriously Rocia bring tiles in from all over the world Massive buying power 

Almurad and Rocia are both Asian owned 

Marble has never gone out of fashion with many of there customers 

Neither will let a potential customer walk out of the door 

48 minutes ago, learner said:

cant find real Marble tile any where other than from china...

There are mountains of the stuff in Spain and Italy, but getting smaller.

Pinoso (Alicante. Spain), is the largest marble quarry in the world.

The Alicante plane flies over this on approach.

Different mountains, different colours.

A day in Pinoso, Costa Blanca - The Costa Blanca Guide

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/01/2022 at 23:27, Adsibob said:

So does marble behave differently to Terrazo? I guess that would make sense given marble is a stone, whereas terrazo is made from portland cement.

With marble, if you seal the underside before laying it, how does the moisture in the adhesive dry/evaporate?

@nod just refreshing this question in case you have a moment to answer it. We're laying our marble this weekend and I'm getting nervous! The manufacturer doesn't say anything about sealing the back, just says this:

"Fast setting adhesives are advisable in order that the moisture disperses quickly from the Stone or Terracotta. This helps to prevent various reactions that could be caused by the moisture retention of the tile."