Multipanel Shower End of Life Repair/Replace

I've posted this because it is a panelled shower which has been in for a decade and is going mushy at the bottom edge of the panels, so may be useful for others in the future. Approx. 1" of panel is damp through in this particular shower, which is the worst of 2 in a student house. There is also a crack in the shower tray. 

This is a shower for a cluster flat for 3 student bedrooms, and was installed around 2011-12. I *think* it is Multipanel, but am not totally certain. Multipanel is a 11mm marine ply core, I think.

The back of my envelope tells me that, with 50 week student contracts, this shower has had between about 10k and 20k student showers in it, without obviously any excessive care being taken. Is that a lifetime for Multipanel? I Don't think I can complain about that lifetime.

Suggests a domestic lifetime of 25-30 years, perhaps, for well maintained Multipanel, which to me is acceptable.

Piccie below:

1683500115_IMG_1755(1).thumb.jpg.65ec18aef8b6e696114a12a0b0b1070d.jpg

Comment from the lettings agent:

The red line is where the crack is. The blue part is where the boards are spongey and are wet.

What do you think?

To me this is perhaps a temp repair to the crack using some goo, and a full replacement next time it is empty for a day or two, using an all plastic panel this time.

Ferdinand

Havign had a telecon with my property manager, it looks as though we will need to replace 2 showers in the 6-bed house.

I think I need to source a commercial grade shower panel product all made from plastic for greater resilience, perhaps something used in hotels or an home-feel institutional setting. It needs to have a domestic feel to it, since that is the design objective for our student houses.

Does anyone have any suggestions and ideally experience for a suitable product?

Thanks

Ferdinand

10 minutes ago, TonyT said:

I would stick with multi panel, utilise good quality sealants and re do it again in 10 years.

maybe invest in a shower tray with an upstand?

Could be a good call.

The install was done properly, as it was the second batch I had done. The main issue I think was students not cleaning drains which meant more splashing than in a domestic setting. I need to go to some hotels to see what they are doing now.

Thanks.

Someone on here did a grid matrix of the various panels that may be worth searching out.  A rot proof core is worth going for.  Your call on the tray replacement.  Now would be as good a time as any but if it does/will not leak you could leave it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Ferdinand What did you decide to do in the end?

I have a 800x800 ish shower with walls on 3 sides (alcove style in bathroom-speak) that needs redoing after water got behind the tiles and rotted the tray support.

I hate tiling, and also it's cold in there (2 external cavity walls) so I was thinking of removing the tiles, adding 25mm of celotex to the 2 outside walls and then panelling over the top.

• 10 months later...