Existing loft room and building regs

Hi, 

I bought a 1950's bungalow with a large 'attic storage room' that looks like it was part of the original build judging by the roof structure with a dormer (see attached photo), 6 inch joists in place and has been boarded with electrics. The only confusing bit is that there is a ladder rather than stairs, so the estate agents classed it as a storage room (the previous occupant was elderly and obviously didnt use the room - they've passed away so I'm not able to ask them about it). I'm a little confused what I can and can't use the room for now though. It obviously doesn't meet current regs with thermal insulation requirements (zero insulation), fire protection etc, but guessing it was fine when built. I've checked the local guide on access and a fixed ladder does actually meet the requirements 'where space is restricted and doesn't allow for a staircase' as is the case. I'm currently using it as an office while working from home but worried about my insurance. Do I just treat the room as a habitable space as it's been there since it was built (and inform my insurance that I'm using it as a room), or do I contact building regs for clarification and potentially open up a can of worms?! 

Any advice/opinions would be welcome, thanks

Screenshot 2022-01-01 215130.jpg

The estate agent is correct 

Anything that doesn’t meet building regs will be classed as storage 

Looking at the window it doesn’t look like there’s an escape root out of the window also 

There really isn’t anything stopping you using the room for anything that you want 

If you do decide to use it as a bedroom I’d probably change that window to make an escape route 

I am not sure using it as an office is classed as “habitable “, I know bathrooms aren’t but bedrooms are. A mate of mine had similar in his house, fold down ladder but he did insulate it and instal velux,s and his son used it as a bedroom but when he sold it it was classed as storage.

I’m not sure your house insurer cares. All you need to do is make sure that you answered all the underwriting questions honestly. The majority of houses in the UK probably don’t comply with current building regs, so i can’t see how that is relevant to insurance.