Movement of window frame

WWilts

New build. Proposed to window supplier/installer something like the pic.

Their concern: the frame etc might move and cracks might appear.

Question: is there a way to fix the plasterboard/J bead to the frame to allow for some movement? If so, how?

62B Window reveal cill detail annotated.jpg

62B Wingfield Rd Window reveal jamb detail annotated.jpg

I forecast the exact same problem, cracks in plaster to window frame joint. I proposed using a stop bead and flexible caulk in the joint but was told it was not necessary, well they were wrong, nearly all windows cracked the plaster edge at this point and not only in a straight line. Sanding and filling followed on nearly all the windows. However when I built the porch I did use a stop bead on the plasterboard/window or door junction and had no problems. Even our Jeremy had the same problem with his windows. I fixed the stop bead to the plasterboard so the flexible caulk dealt with any movement.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

Mine never moved, no J beads, only used centre support in middle of 2400 wide windows and used dowels under those styles to take the weight but not on smaller windows. I did seal insulation used to close my cavities to rye frames and stuck the bound edges of plasterboard lining to the frame with decorators caulk. 

window frames are jointed together so should be strong in themselves none of my 1800 frames have moved, basically only screwed into the masonry , three each side 

• Like 1

Most of  the commercial require a tap on stop bead That goes on the CUT edge of the board before it butts against the Ally window frame 
They are about £3 for a 3 mtre length 

5468CC8D-A4ED-4CDB-AA0B-F63F8940FFD6.png

Edited by nod
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1