Elster A100C FIT meter fault

Roys

This might be one for @ProDave or anyone else that has had this problem.

Went to take my quarterly FIT meter reading and found my generation meter Elster A100C is just flashing 888888888.

My sunnyboy monitor shows I am still generating.

What is the procedure next, is it a case of changing my meter myself? What happens re generated units for the last quarter and the new reading?

What is a good meter to replace it with?

I have also dropped Eon my fit provider an email to tell them my meter is not playing.

cheers folks

Edited by Roys
Missed word

Not come across that problem.

You obviously need a new meter, and you will have to contact your FIT provider.  I don't know there procedure whether they estimate based on previous generation, or assume your new meter (which will read 000000) was swapped at the last valid reading they received.

That Elster is a common meter so I don't know what else to suggest.  I just tend to look for whatever is cheap on ebay, but it must be mew and must be certified as a generation meter.

You could try totally isolating it for a few hours.  So isolate invert, isolate the modules and flick the MCB at the consumer unit.

The in the morning turn it all back on (in the correct order).

Be thankful it is winter when it is not generating much.

Edited by SteamyTea

It is true about next to nowt generation just now, so right time of any for it to fail.

Re totally isolating not that easy as the MCB and isolators are on the solar side of the meter, the other side is tied into the house meter via a couple of Henley’s.

Just now, Roys said:

Re totally isolating not that easy as the MCB and isolators are on the solar side of the meter, the other side is tied into the house meter via a couple of Henley’s.

You should be able to isolate it all very easily.  It is part of the design criteria.

40 minutes ago, Roys said:

The AC isolator will isolate the inverter side of the meter, and the MCB in the consumer unit will isolate the output side of the meter.

It must be worth a try to see if it recovers, but unlikely.

Mmmmm the way mine has been installed is DNO meter to Henley Block to Generation Meter to small Solar consumer unit with RCD and mcb to inverter isolator, to 2nd inverter isolator in loft to inverter.

The Henley block also feeds the house consumer unit.

So not that easy to totally isolate.

8 minutes ago, Roys said:

Mmmmm the way mine has been installed is DNO meter to Henley Block to Generation Meter to small Solar consumer unit with RCD and mcb to inverter isolator, to 2nd inverter isolator in loft to inverter.

The Henley block also feeds the house consumer unit.

So not that easy to totally isolate.

That's not the right way.  Get an electrician to correct it.  It should be DNO meter, Henley block, solar consumer unit, generation meter, AC isolator, inverter.

That was the way the MCS spark installed it 10 years ago and to be honest I never paid it much attention until now and being a spark (retired) I suppose I should have. When It is time for the meter change  guess I will do a bit of additional alterations then.

Need to go try find the supplied paperwork as I recall there was a block diagram with it, wonder if that tallies with what they should have done or what they actually did.

Edited by Roys
Additional

Just checked the documentation and the block diagram is correct, it is, as suggested the installation that is wrong, I will correct it when I change the meter, just waiting on Eon getting back to my email.

Going to have a check of another install that the same MCS spark and see if he did the same thing, will be a couple of weeks time mmm.

Edited by Roys
Additional

Just remembered my mate who is also a spark, had a system installed by the same company, I have just phoned him and asked him to describe the install, he went into his meter cupboard and said” DNO meter to Henley to Generation meter to solar consumer unit to isolator” I said same as mine, now look at your block diagram, he said “ahhh it’s different, never noticed that”.

I told him I never noticed on mine either.

Every day is a school day.

1 hour ago, Roys said:

told him I never noticed on mine either

My house is the the same as my neighbours house. Asked how many rolls if wallpaper they bought to decorate front room.

12 was the reply.

Bought 12, decorated and had 4 rolls left. Told neighbour this and he said.

So do I 

• Haha 2

That's a bugger. Do let us know what an MCS registered company charges to change it.  At least it has failed during the poorest quarter so the loss in FIT is relatively small.

My guess is they will just replace the meter where it is without rewiring it.