Am thinking of not having a battery (definite) or solar pv (probable)

offthepiste

Hi @S2D2 am afraid my consumption is pretty much best effort estimate.

I itemised appliances etc. now and future and validated against actual consumption - came quite close to actuals. Have taken a conservativ'ish on the resulting space heating requirements post my enerphitish refurb, i.e. @45 - 50kwh/m2.

Other than that probably being a bit naive but basically think I am optimising what can be done (and know I am spending a lot of post tax cash) but view it all as a bit of alternative hedging and given inflation (which I am discounting) of both electricity and kit think a 10 year return is OK - equivalent post tax to a 7% return on equity - and given my personal circumstances quite happy with that.

2 hours ago, offthepiste said:

Was a bit worried that I had dithered too long .. should have commited back in May

I was wondering about your lead times. I booked for solar PV back in March and they're finally due here on Monday. Just wondering who else has been waiting 6 Months plus?

I'm so happy with my setup right now. this was yesterday where I managed to get 104 miles in to the car and then fully charge my 6.4kWh battery storage.

image.thumb.png.753f8e8fe1299e4585c692f6cf768ef9.png

you can see where the solar PV dropped off the battery kicked in to keep charging the car (I have a Hypervolt EV charger) and then at around 3pm the car finished charging and so the batteries started charging while also exporting quite a bit to the grid. I'm hoping that once we actually move in to the house we'll self consume more but it's working well at the moment, even with the batteries in the basement!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, offthepiste said:

Hi @S2D2 am afraid my consumption is pretty much best effort estimate.

I itemised appliances etc. now and future and validated against actual consumption - came quite close to actuals. Have taken a conservativ'ish on the resulting space heating requirements post my enerphitish refurb, i.e. @45 - 50kwh/m2.

Other than that probably being a bit naive but basically think I am optimising what can be done (and know I am spending a lot of post tax cash) but view it all as a bit of alternative hedging and given inflation (which I am discounting) of both electricity and kit think a 10 year return is OK - equivalent post tax to a 7% return on equity - and given my personal circumstances quite happy with that.

I wouldn't worry, you have a much higher electric load than I modelled (no MVHR, gas boiler) so I think your selected system will perform well, especially if you combine it with overnight cheap price charging of the battery with weather prediction to top up when the PV can't deliver enough. If you don't mind me asking what was the quote including installation? I'm trying to validate my cost functions at the minute!

I was thinking originally of getting Tesla powerwall but after looking at the specs and cost kit didn’t look as awesome as the unit does in person.

I’ve grabbed 2 x 17kwh lifepo4 batteries each in a very sturdy case with a decent 200Amp BMS that’s fully programmable. Each battery can pump out 10Kw if needed and be charged each at 5Kw.

Price was £3,400 inc all import duties and shipping. Legit Eve 320ah cells and works like a champ. New tumble dryer Miele heat pump trickles electric so we use it without thinking about it.

34Kwh of useable battery for £6,800 seems like a no brainier and should pay back relatively quicker now with silly high electric rates. But you do forego any export.