Self Build, Argyll, Scotland

Paul Munro

Hi,

New to the forum and looking forward to gaining knowledge. I am about to embark on a self build in Argyll. The plot is purchased but that is it so far... looking to build a 4 bedroom detached with garage  (around the 180-200sq m in size) but concerned about the recent sky rocketing prices of materials. I will PM the build bringing trades in as I need. My question is should I be looking at any other types of build rather than the timber frame route I was originally planning?  Would steel frame and block be cheaper now due to prices of timber? should I consider any other method's of construction?

Thanks in advance

17 minutes ago, Paul Munro said:

should I be looking at any other types of build rather than the timber frame route

Most of my experience is in steel buildings, but even I tend to propose other methods as soon as large clear spans are not important.

In a normal house with normal rooms, the walls carry a lot of the load and allow timber to cope with the stresses.

Also bear in mind that steel is not ideal for any shapes other than rectangles, and that you are dependent on local skills.

Most builders only like what they are used to.

Discuss with locals as your nearby builders may prefer to build traditionally, and that might save a lot of cost and give you more flexibility.

For steel?  Very quick construction and your works are then all in the dry.  In some rural areas the planners will allow a steel building to look like one, and that can save money in aesthetic finishes.

• Like 1

working on both at the moment, you'll find that the costs are up on everything! trying to get steel on site has provide quite challenging on a couple of jobs so I don't think you'll find any method which is a signifanct saving over the other, but in Argyll most companies will be used to timber kit which might help with costs of labour

Edited by the_r_sole
  • Like 2