Rats - Trail Cam and Poison recommendations?

I've just had a call from a Tenant who has a new suspected rathole from the lean-to running under the house. Presumably driven in by the weather.

I may need some rat poison, and I definitely want a trail cam to set up.

Can anyone recommend either?

I do have a rat man coming in for a short course of visits from early next week, but I need to be on the ball PDQ.

I may end up putting a concrete floor in. Grr.

Thanks

Ferdinand

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Can anyone recommend either?

Not really, sorry!  I'd always try trapping in the first instance; cheap, quick and with visible results (or not), and no risk of secondary poisoning non-target wildlife. 

Each to their own of course, but why do you want a video of a rat?

• Like 1

I have had this cheapo one for sometime https://uk.apemans.com/collections/trail-camera/products/apeman-trail-camera-h60 It's been out in all year round on our site and we've never had an issue. Picture and video quality is decent enough for the money. 

Poison is a bit cruel for me, we are currently using live traps for mice and letting them go in some woods about a mile away.

• Like 1

I've used Formula B in the past, and it did the trick. Make sure bait is protected from non target species and is placed in known rat runs. Also keep bait topped up until it is no longer being taken for a week or so.

If using live traps, consider trapped rats can be fairly feisty, and have a plan for how you are going to dispose of them humanely or how you will transport them and where you will release them - needs to be quite some distance away and certain species should not be released.

Depending on your location you my find someone who has a good ratter dog or wants some shooting practice

• Like 1