soundproof door - any recommendations?

Adsibob

Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced internal door and doorset that is soundproofed to 40dB. It's not clear to me whether this is:

I thought the first solution would work, but when I spoke to soundstop they said that their drop seals are only rated for 30db, but I'm not clear whether that is because there is no seal around the doorframe.

For context, without sound proofing, this doorway would be the weak spot in a utility room that has been soundproofed to provide a reduction of at least 40db

14 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Where has the Rw 40 dB figure come from?

44 - 54mm solid core door with jamb and drop down seals will do it, see below

https://www.lorientuk.com/acousticsearch/results?dB_min=40&dB_max=44&sort=asc

Thanks, that will hopefully save some money on the door then. the 40db figure is what i have specified to convert the maximum sound of the 75db washing machine (on spin cycle) in the utility room to a more discreet 35dB sound on the other side of the door. Though the 32kw boiler and a tumble dryer will also make some noise, so it might be slightly more than 75dB, though those are much quieter machines but adding decibels of different appliances is beyond my sound engineering skills!

When I asked Soundstop what db reduction their door dropper seal would achieve, they said "probably only 30db". 

• 3 weeks later...

As well as the door, how about sound absorbing materials in the room?

I have seen some that looked like flat felt, rather than the studio foam 3D blocks. I would go as far as putting them on the side of the machine.

Add in lino rather than tiles or wood floor.

Pop the machine inside a cupboard, lined with aforementioned sound absorbing.

Or, buy an LG. Ours is all but silent, the flowing water being the noisiest, and the 'silent' setting is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

LG F12U1TCN4 

This is our second LG machine in 20 years - both of which have been superb and quiet. I think the Direct Drive is a key element of it - you only then hear things on spin occasionally trhough a closed door if the machine isn't balanced, at which point the machine stops and rebalances itself....

35 minutes ago, Mike said:

For more quiet appliances, see Quiet Mark

interesting that they don't actually publish dB levels and instead just certify the 10% to 20% quietest appliances in each category annually. Query what the range of dB difference there is between the market leading appliance which is in the top 1% and the appliance which just makes the certification at 20%

• 7 months later...