Laser Level Repair

Onoff

So on the back of the bathroom to be tiled I dug out my (cheapo?) laser level which was a works cast off years ago due to a broken base. A bit of Araldite sorted it and it worked. It's this model in this random ad:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-hand-tools/laser-genius-6150-laser-level-with-remote/1229092095

It has a remote operated turntable and the RF bit inside went t!ts up years back. I put it away in the shed. I resurrected it with a new RF 2 channel kit from Hong Kong (I think).

BUT.....it wouldn't self level when I got it out again. It'll project a horizontal and vertical line onto the wall that are perfectly at 90o to each other BUT the adjustment screw atop used to adjust the gimbal (?) inside won't do a thing you can screw it fully in and it does nothing or you can unscrew it completely.  It's this you turn to get your initial level / lock the gimbal in place. In fact it's not even touching the gimbal.

So, 4 screws got me inside. I reckon there's a bit missing between the brass screw and gimbal? Vague memory of it coming unscrewed one time. Maybe the missing bit fell out then! Looks M6 / 1/4" BSW so I might try a random bolt:

20170412_192714

20170412_192933

20170412_192950

Edited by Onoff

Well it's M6 but it's no use. Bin job this, pity.  Though the two lines are always 90deg to each other (that's set in stone) you can't adjust/lock to get them level / plumb.

20170412_202836

20170412_202858

Managed to get my first ever Draper laser, shaped like a small beer keg, to come back to life ( with a lot of remedial shaking and then Neanderthal like bashing ) and I proceeded to then tile a 6m long wall with it. 2 rows of brick mosaic for border, plus another single row at picture rail height, it was a thing of beauty. The FiL of the customer ran his hands over it and exclaimed "not a single kicker, you should be very proud of that tiling young man". 

Then I realised it was running uphill ?

The airing cupboard at the end of the bath saved my ass, as I could correct it there but was still gutted nevertheless :(

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Managed to get my first ever Draper laser, shaped like a small beer keg, to come back to life ( with a lot of remedial shaking and then Neanderthal like bashing ) and I proceeded to then tile a 6m long wall with it. 2 rows of brick mosaic for border, plus another single row at picture rail height, it was a thing of beauty. The FiL of the customer ran his hands over it and exclaimed "not a single kicker, you should be very proud of that tiling young man". 

Then I realised it was running uphill ?

The airing cupboard at the end of the bath saved my ass, as I could correct it there but was still gutted nevertheless :(

A good few years back was this then? :)

• Like 2

On 14/04/2017 at 09:06, Onoff said:

This is looking like the replacement at the mo. Says +/-0.3mm accuracy:

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cotech-Cross-Line-Laser-Level/40-8704?gclid=CIzD1Iu-o9MCFYQy0wodRL4C2Q#moreinfo

Oh, I've been waiting for those to come back on offer,

My mate has one, cracking for the money, but not worth the original price imo, 

9 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Oh, I've been waiting for those to come back on offer,

My mate has one, cracking for the money, but not worth the original price imo, 

Really? I might get one.

5 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

It's better that my shitty green Bosch one,

I just need to find out when the missus, or her dizzy mate is next going into town.

Just ordered one. Blame the Doom Bar!

9 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Ye, I've just checked, free delivery over £35 , so easier just to order one myself, now, what else do they have that i don't really need,,,,,,,,,? 

I've managed, as an aside, to track down the maker of my yellow, broken one above...in Taiwan. Sent pics asking if they can supply the missing part or send me a drawing so I can make it myself. Nothing lost etc.