VAT on garden fencing

I'm just booking some fencing around what will be the whole site including the garden.

Can I claim the VAT on this, and as it is being done by a company, do I need to ask them to not charge.

Also, if it is claimable, what % as my build in a barn conversion.

TIA

1 minute ago, Conor said:

Yes, if it's in your planning application. Same with anything else related to landscaping. Except gnomes.

what does HMRC have against Gnomes  ?

So, does he charge 5%

thanks

8 minutes ago, Conor said:

Yes, if it's in your planning application. Same with anything else related to landscaping. Except gnomes.

So HMRC are gnomist …. Is it systemic? Everything else seems to be lately 

Edited by markc

2 hours ago, LSB said:

what does HMRC have against Gnomes  ?

So, does he charge 5%

thanks

They should charge you 5% VAT on both labour and materials and you reclaim it at the end of the build with everything else. Best ask them to requote at 5%  before they start work. I assume its a conversion, not mixed use, and not a house that's been empty for 2 or 10 years.  

If they have a problem refer to VAT708 para 7.1.1 (which states 5% on conversions) and 11.2 (VAT rate on goods incorporated should be at same rate as labour).

It may help to give them a "certificate" which is basically a letter you write confirming that the work is 5% rated because its the conversion of a non residential building to a residential building. Include site address znd any planning reference number. I think officially they are only needed for work on charity buildings but they have been known to convince unsure tradesmen. Think there is/was a template in VAT708.