140 x 140mm concrete blocks

Pocster

Hey all,

My timber frame supplier wishes me to build a base for the frame. He said you can get 140x140mm concrete blocks (the width of the timbers). I can't see any online nor does my local builders merchants know of any. Rather than cut umpteen standard concrete blocks in half - anyone come across these before??

thanks in advance

You don't want to lift full size 6 inch blocks, they are a ton. Called farmers friends as only they use them for pig houses and the like.

You are looking for a soap bar block that will be 440mm*100mm*140mm.

You want the bottom one in the pic.

Screenshot_20170412-131158.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

You don't want to lift full size 6 inch blocks, they are a ton. Called farmers friends as only they use them for pig houses and the like.

You are looking for a soap bar block that will be 440mm*100mm*140mm.

You want the bottom one in the pic.

Screenshot_20170412-131158.png

Yeah that's more like it !

id have to lay it flat as the timber is 140 wide.

i will now Google soap bar block :-))))

appreciated !

Edited by pocster

8 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Get whoever you got your blocks from a phone and see if they stock them. Used mainly to get your walls back on coursing after you put lintels etc in. Easier to lift one soapbar than 4 brick.

They've never heard of them - builders merchants.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Why not use a 140 wide lightweight standard block ..?? Not exactly heavy and you can get them in 7N strength

I think the timber guy wants height of 140 and also width 140. He said a 140x140mm block (which I can't find).

I could just lay a block 'flat' ( Concrete Block, 440x215x140mm) ; so it's 215mm height rather than 140mm.

What worries me is the step in width i.e. 215. Does that matter??; means for example UFH won't 'reach' the wall....

http://forterra.co.uk/thermalite-and-aggregrate-blocks/thermalite-aircrete-block-detail/thermalite-aircrete-hi-strength-coursing-block

Just bear in mind they need to be level across the slab to +/- 5mm for most timber frame companies so I would suggest using two courses of 65mm and get you pretty close (145mm) with a couple of thin mortar beds to level out any uneveness

Just now, PeterW said:

http://forterra.co.uk/thermalite-and-aggregrate-blocks/thermalite-aircrete-block-detail/thermalite-aircrete-hi-strength-coursing-block

Just bear in mind they need to be level across the slab to +/- 5mm for most timber frame companies so

Thanks. Yes he said +/- 10mm ; but 'preferred' +/- 5mm .... Going to stick my rotating laser guide in the centre so it's spinning dot just clips the top of a corner block then I know for each corner should be the same. Seems like a fair way to get level with acceptable tolerance.

1 minute ago, pocster said:

I did. They have nothing at 140mm. Just 'standard' block sizes.

Get a new BM...

140mm blocks are common - they are used in flanking walls and are a standard detail. 

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

TP stock coursing bricks in Celcon specs - 600 in a pack so thats enough for 67m of two courses to bring you up to the 140/150mm level.

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/H%2BH-Celcon-Brick-Standard-Coursing-Unit-65mm-Pack-of-600/

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

TP stock coursing bricks in Celcon specs - 600 in a pack so thats enough for 67m of two courses to bring you up to the 140/150mm level.

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/H%2BH-Celcon-Brick-Standard-Coursing-Unit-65mm-Pack-of-600/

Only 100mm wide

TP do them in 140mm - Only linked that to show what you need to look for which is a 65mm Coursing Block.

You can use concrete commons as I said before but they have no thermal performance to speak of so it depends what you want to do in terms of thermal performance. I would expect that the BCO or SE for the TF company will spec the compressive strength of the blocks for the ring anyway - 3.6N seems to be the minimum these days.

Those are also vastly overpriced - I pay around £220 / thou for 100mm and £285/thou for 140mm concrete commons.

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

TP do them in 140mm - Only linked that to show what you need to look for which is a 65mm Coursing Block.

You can use concrete commons as I said before but they have no thermal performance to speak of so it depends what you want to do in terms of thermal performance. I would expect that the BCO or SE for the TF company will spec the compressive strength of the blocks for the ring anyway - 3.6N seems to be the minimum these days.

Those are also vastly overpriced - I pay around £220 / thou for 100mm and £285/thou for 140mm concrete commons.

Ah I see. Sorry I thought you got it wrong!! B|

This 2 course wall is the 'internal' wall just for the timber frame to sit on. My external wall is thermalise with 150mm insulation behind it. So I'm not sure the thermal performance of the blocks against the B&B is a great issue????; it maybe though!!!

BCO is coming tomorrow. From my experience he genuinely won't be that interested!!.

I 'felt' it was expensive; but trying to find similar online at a sensible price is challenging .

Appreciate all the help!

Just now, PeterW said:

Who is your Builders Merchant and where are you based...? If you can get away with a concrete common then use that.

Bristol. I have usually used Kellaway ; haggle a good price. But that link above I've given seems a good bit cheaper than TP!