Fitch beams and LRS

be96erj

Hi 

I'm looking to put right what my previous shoddy builders failed to do. When building my extension they failed to install flitch clutch beams in my roof and install lateral restraint straps. As a result its caused massive cracks in my walls.

Anyway I've paid a structural engineer to calculate how to retrofit the flitch beams and LRS and they've now been approved by building control.

The problem is whenever I get a builder round to look at the work they just seem NOT (ed) to have a clue what to do!

Does anyone have any ideas. Do I need to hire a project manager to tell the builders what they need to do precisely? I would have hired the structural engineer who did my calculations but he has moved away from the area!

Any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much

Edited by MikeSharp01
sense as shown in GREEN

Hi, is it that the builders haven’t a clue what to do or they don’t understand what you are asking for?

an extension is everyday stuff to most builders.

do you have any drawings and or photos so we can better understand the problem and scale etc.

Trades are probably that busy, see that the job will be a pain and just walk away, no fun in putting cowboy installations right.

as all you seem to do is uncover more disasters and be the bearer of bad news regarding other trades poor work….

• 1 month later...

i presume the flitch beams are above a large opening?? some pictures or drawings would give an idea of the work involved, you say that you have paid a structural engineer to specify these beams but surely these would have already been designed before the structure was put up?? or was it a case of the guys doing the work just were called bodgit and scarper ltd and didnt have any drawings/ structural calcs to begin with?