The proof is in the pudding.

Marvin

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeek! (Would a better solution be to exchange the car or the journeys)

There may be some confusion @MikeSharp01.

The picture shows the journeys over about 2 or 3 months, and my point was that I am achieving an average of almost 5 miles for every kW over many many journeys. At the new price of 25p per kW now, that's about 5p a mile. My petrol work car does abou 40 to the gallon so £ 1.5 x 4.545 litres is about 6.81, divided by 40 miles is about 17p a mile.

With PV as well I will see how far I can get this down....

16 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The picture shows the journeys over about 2 or 3 months, and my point was that I am achieving an average of almost 5 miles for every kW over many many journeys. At the new price of 25p per kW now, that's about 5p a mile. My petrol work car does about 40 to the gallon so £ 1.5 x 4.545 litres is about 6.81, divided by 40 miles is about 17p a mile.

With PV as well I will see how far I can get this down....

Yep can't argue but  wonder what it would be at 60MPH average?

• Like 1

I think this shows that solar PV is not that useful for an EV.  Even on a really good summers day you are unlikely to get more than 20kWh in a day, and even assuming nothing else in the house uses any of it, that will only get you about 80 miles of free motoring.  By the time the house loads have taken their share, it will be even less.

I seem to be self using about 2/3 of my PV generation on house loads, with the remaining 1/3 going into the hot water tank.  That is not a great deal really that is "spare" for EV charging.  so yes it will help, and having another place to send your PV power is useful, don't for one minute think you are going to get lots of free motoring.

• Like 2

We don't expect to get free energy for transport and agree that the situation suits our requirements, and will not suit everybody's.

As the EV spends most of the time at home, and not all day at work, it will work as a storage battery with a capacity of about 40kW (Batteries about 100kW max use about 40kW).  Also we are only doing an average of about 20 miles a day so 4kW.  

The idea is to dilute the mains power with EV, not feed it directly. Once up and running I will set the ST Clamp on the 5.12kW PV system to charge the car once the PV is producing over 1.5 kW (We have a 3kW slow charger.) 

I'm never quite sure with these cunning plans I have and we will just have to wait and see what happens. 

M

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I'm never quite sure with these cunning plans I have and we will just have to wait and see what happens. 

Indeed, and I hope my previous reply was not taken the wrong way.

I was surprised that we are able to self use almost all of our PV generation without any storage and without an EV.  you won't know for sure your individual usage until you try.

i do wish the DNO's would not be stuck in their ways and make it almost impossible for people like us to have more than the default 3.68kWp solar pv for fear we might export too much and overload their network.  If / when we do get an EV i would like more PV but the cost of any more with all the hoops to jump through would be prohibitive.

Just now, ProDave said:

A. Indeed, and I hope my previous reply was not taken the wrong way.

B: I was surprised that we are able to self use almost all of our PV generation without any storage and without an EV.  you won't know for sure your individual usage until you try.

? I do wish the DNO's would not be stuck in their ways and make it almost impossible for people like us to have more than the default 3.68kWp solar pv for fear we might export too much and overload their network.  If / when we do get an EV I would like more PV but the cost of any more with all the hoops to jump through would be prohibitive.

A: No problem. 

B: this will be a learning curve for us as well

? Yes. I have applied because we have gone from zero to5.12kW and will use a CT Clamp to limit the supply. It took about half a dozen people to decide who should look at the request and finally I was advised that they hope to let me know within 3 months!  So we sit here in limbo....