Ventilaton of unused chimney breast

Bex

Hi - I have a roofer coming to cap and seal an unused chimney breast on my 1900 property.

The chimney will also be re-pointed and flashing secured. My question relates to the distal end which is currently blocked off  and plastered.

An air brick will be fitted externally but does there need to be distal ventilation at the lower aspect of chimney too?

Many thanks

IMG_7281.jpg

chimney exterior.jpeg

You should vent it, particularly in your case to keep the structure flowing with some air driving off moisture coming from the exposed wall.

As it is boarded/bricked up, I would probably just core it and fit a nice vent grille. Far less effort than trying to fit a brick. I'd also maybe initially opt for a smaller vent, like a 75mm core, you just want some air movement but don't want a huge open escape route for all your warm air. 

I personally have not ventilated one of our sealed chimneys but it is, internal to the house until roof level and is directly adjacent to 2 active chimneys. It is fitted with a vent cap. My feeling is that the warmth in the chimney structure will help keep the capped one dry. Think washed out milk carton sitting in the sun it does dry out. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1