Design considerations for new homes

2 hours ago, billt said:

My point about not needing heat pumps is the same point that has been made on this forum in the past; if the heat demand is low the capital cost of a heat pump and all the other plumbing is not justified.

PH standards for all new builds? You'll be lucky to find insulation in half of the new stock being sold to first time buyers, fortified by over-stretched council / back-handed private BCO's signing off these builds in non-scrutinised batches of 10+ at a time from a single dwelling inspection.

A heat pump would cut any heating bill in half ( minimum ) if a dwelling had any discernible level of attention to a fabric-first approach, with robust BCO monitoring.

Whilst new buyers still rave over a nice shower cubicle and a cloakroom WC, the demand of the typical new build ( mass-produced ) buyer still doesn't drive such focus 'elsewhere' I'm afraid. 

12 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

Is 14C the temperature when you are sitting in the living room? That seems very low. 

No, the property is unoccupied and unheated, which was my point. It stays at a reasonable temperature without any heat input despite being not terribly well insulated.

• Like 1