Do I really need plinth bricks?

DeanAlan

The foundation design our architect has prepared, in consultation with the SIPs supplier / installer we are using, includes the use of plinth bricks and I've just seen how expensive these are!

The functional reason for them is to ensure water run off way from the SIPS and the render carry board battened to that.

A deck will be constructed  that comes right up to that level externally, with small gap, so the aesthetics of that lower wall are irrelevant but it needs to be structural sounds and water resistant etc.

Couple with this at one point there is likely going to be a 215mm high lintel crossing a public sewer and it ain't no plinth!

So I'm wondering whether normal bricks, and the concrete lintel, can be used and then with an angle grinder create a chamfer to encourage water run off and not pooling.

Sounds easy on paper.

Thoughts?

cheers,

- Dean

Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 14.08.22.png

Yes, I think blocks will be used (below that plinth brick) and then look for alternative to the plinth brick.

As you say, maybe a regular brick at the top of even a cut chamfer on a block (easy to do with a masonry saw) and could always put a filet of mortar.

I have seen the blue plinth bricks and they are indeed a bit cheaper.

cheers,

- Dean

8 hours ago, DeanAlan said:

So I'm wondering whether normal bricks, and the concrete lintel, can be used and then with an angle grinder create a chamfer to encourage water run off and not pooling.

Cutting bricks and putting lead on top (and partly down the slope) would work. Not sure about cutting a lintel though. 

My builder told me the NHBC don't like large unprotected flat tops due to risk of water/frost damage.