Trade intelligence?

So we've just had tender returns and it looks like the renderers have quoted to render the whole building which will be mainly metal clad with some timber cladding and only the rest rendered......

Think they have just measured up the whole house and quoted for that.

Our QS has a trade intelligence index after years of experience.  To quote, she said:

'Renderers are the most stupid, plumbers not far behind, electricians show a spark of intelligence.'

There must be more to the league table and I wonder what the trades think of QS's?

Simon

I try to provide areas myself.

Often when asking a tradesperson to quote they will overestimate and then price based on this. Funny that. It also leads to over purchasing of materials. The trade view is that they don't want to waste time by running out and they don't pay for them so ordering excess materials is not their problem.

For example, if you ask a tiler to measure a bathroom they will include the area where the bath, door, windows and mirrors are. I take all of these away then add 10-15% to the area depending on how complicated it will be. I still have a load of spare tiles in the garage from doing it this way.

When doing our house my builder calculated the area of one room totally incorrectly. It was then I discovered that he didn't know you could scale and measure an area on a PDF plan. I had to show him how it worked.

Our QS has a trade intelligence index after years of experience.  To quote, she said:

'Renderers are the most stupid, plumbers not far behind, electricians show a spark of intelligence.'

There must be more to the league table and I wonder what the trades think of QS's?

i reckon you should find a new QS, this one must be on Meds or some kind of power trip