Is this going to be strong enough?

gc100

So I’m about to build a double car port . I’ve already laid some post foundations with j bolts embedded in to secure to post brackets. 

I’m concerned that my design will not be strongman enough. I really really want to avoid braces across the front bays pure from a design point. The 2 sides and back can have as much bracing as needed. This will be vertically clad at some point in the future (with gaps to allow air through). I want to use stone gabion cages on the side sides as I’ve seen this before ans it looks great with the end design I have in mind and will make some other walls close by. The posts will go through these and bolted down to brackets in the foundations. 

My concern is from wind shear. Will it be strong enough as per this quick sketch?

it will have corrugated tin roof. 

any thoughts?

thanks 

A78D8AA9-C3EE-4F63-A114-25272D9174FC.jpeg

I have no idea what the spans are to get an idea of size but would imagine it should be adequate. The fixing of the posts needs to be ridged enough and the pad foundations needs to be large enough to resist overturning of the unbraced framework. You could also add some rigidity to the joint between posts and horizontal member to create a more ridged box. This could be with bulldog tooth connectors and bolts or better still a large metal gusset or elbow flat iron plate. Just a thought. Maybe over engineered but without an engineers input best to over engineer

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordo said:

I have no idea what the spans are to get an idea of size but would imagine it should be adequate. The fixing of the posts needs to be ridged enough and the pad foundations needs to be large enough to resist overturning of the unbraced framework. You could also add some rigidity to the joint between posts and horizontal member to create a more ridged box. This could be with bulldog tooth connectors and bolts or better still a large metal gusset or elbow flat iron plate. Just a thought. Maybe over engineered but without an engineers input best to over engineer

Thanks. The spans are 4.6m deep and 2 bays of 4m across.

yes I’m always about over engineering everything I do generally ?

1 hour ago, gc100 said:

Thanks. The spans are 4.6m deep and 2 bays of 4m across.

yes I’m always about over engineering everything I do generally ?

I’ve seen this principle used in portal frame buildings where the engineer provided a ridged UB picture frame instead of bracing to brace the end bay. 

8 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Is 4.6m deep enough if this structure aspires to be an enclosed clad garage in the future? I reckon 5m is a minimum viable depth for a garage.

My non expert hunch is that the central 4.6m rafter running between the bays should be one size up.

I marked that wrong. I’m think 2x6. It’s actually 4.5m between the two out posts. I’m limited due to space - it’s no ideal as it means the car will protrude a little bit I was going to compensate a little by having the roof hanging over more at the front