600mm tile cutter recommendations

Vijay

Just tried to cut some 10mm floor tiles using a similar cutter and have now bought an electric wet cutter... It was impossible. Did wall tiles a breeze, I mean dead easy but no chance on Italian porcelain floor ones.

Bought the cutter from screwfix, around 100quid new but got it 50 second hand

Edited by redtop

11 hours ago, Gone West said:

I bought a Vitrex bridge saw and cut all the floor tiles, roof tiles and paving slabs with it. I was pleased with it and it worked well.

https://www.vitrex.co.uk/products/versatile-power-pro-900-bridge-saw/

The problem with one of those is needing to cut outside I guess, that's a lot of up and down the stairs lol

I’ve had Rubi cutters all the way from 400mm to 900mm and then a Sigma 900mm. 
Gave my Rubi one away to a mate starting out and I’ll be staying with Sigma. Outstanding bit of kit and far less effort to get a good cut. Literally couldn’t spot the difference between factory and cut edges. 

Right, based on what you guys have said I'm looking at a Sigma. There is the 3B4 and 3B4M which I believe the 3B4 is a pull action and the M(max) is a push version (and slightly smaller cutting dimensions). From you experienced tilers, is a pull or push action better? The guy online said to go for a push action as it's what is used more and is more natural - but that could be cos he only had that one in stock lol

Starting using this cutter and having an issue. Scores fine but won't break evenly along the score line, the cut breaks off sideways. Spoke to the supplier which says it's down to the tiles, which are from Wickes https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Amaro-Linen-Porcelain-Wall+Floor-Tile---615-x-308mm/p/153690  they are slightly rippled which you can see in the pics.

Anyone have any advice with this situation? I tried scoring a few times but still didn't break cleanly :(

20211110_101153.jpg

20211110_101141.jpg

20211110_101149.jpg

Guys, how clean of a cut should I be getting with this Sigma cutter? Cutting 8mm wall tiles, the tiles just aren't cutting cleanly, edges are raggedy and I'm ending up using a wetsaw to clean up the edges. Really not impressed with a £300 bit of kit :(

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You're putting WAY too much pressure down on the cutting wheel. You should barely be scoring them. Go easy, tiger!!

I tried really light pressure and it still did the same mate :(

From what I can tell online, it's a 19mm wheel

6 minutes ago, Vijay said:

I tried really light pressure and it still did the same mate :(

From what I can tell online, it's a 19mm wheel

Wheel is too big. 10mm or 8mm is my preferred size, but there are many different grades of porcelain. I had some grade 5 on one job, and it was like breaking into the Hatten safe.

• Haha 1