Class 0 Flame

learner

My Building Inspector has said i need to be Class 0 Flame retardant on the timber cladding in a narrow corridor between the house and neighbours.

Is this something i can do my self or i do i need a certified person . what product should i use if i can do it?

Thanks

On 23/10/2021 at 10:04, ADLIan said:

I don’t think AD B references Class 0 any more, Euroclass reaction to fire should be used. If so your BCO needs bringing up to date post Grenfell.

National classifications (class 0) for surface spread of flame are still the normal specification used. Euro classifications are also quoted and may be used. Class 0 being the highest rating.

TBH I’d say this is likely a little zealous application of the guidance for a small room or corridors. Maybe you could appeal to his common sense if you think it is over zealous 

Edited by Gordo

We had to paint on fire protection on to our cladding, it was a pain as we had to put two coats of fire protection to gain the 30 minute required. Had to do it by hand with a roller and then brush it to get a smooth finish.

Also whichever fire protection paint you use make sure the cladding will meet the fire requirements, we had to have interlocking wood cladding, featheredge was not suitable as most do not interlock and fire can sneak through the gaps, it also has to be a minimal thickness at the thinnest part of the cladding.

We also had to use fireboard instead of OSB on the outside of the timber frame.

Can you use cement board cladding as this has a class 0 rating, we couldn't due to where we are and planning only allow wood cladding.

1 minute ago, NewToAllOfThis said:

We had to paint on fire protection on to our cladding, it was a pain as we had to put two coats of fire protection to gain the 30 minute required. Had to do it by hand with a roller and then brush it to get a smooth finish.

Also whichever fire protection paint you use make sure the cladding will meet the fire requirements, we had to have interlocking wood cladding, featheredge was not suitable as most do not interlock and fire can sneak through the gaps, it also has to be a minimal thickness at the thinnest part of the cladding.

We also had to use fireboard instead of OSB on the outside of the timber frame.

Can you use cement board cladding as this has a class 0 rating, we couldn't due to where we are and planning only allow wood cladding.

Cement board is usually A1 non combustible material rating which is totally different but widely recognised as offering SSF rating of 0.

The NI Regs and technical documents are woefully out of date. Post Grenfell. England, Wales and Scotland quickly updated the guidance and I do not think Class 0 is now referenced. Class 0 is not a BS 476 classification but a ‘made up’ classification within the Approved Docs. Both Celotex and Kingspan hid behind this classification despite the manufacturing standard for PUR foam not referencing BS476 at all - should be BS EN 13501 but this would have shown their products to be combustible (Euroclass C or D?). Hence the post Grenfell sh*t storm.

Note that many building products are now manufactured to harmonised European standards (BS ENs) which do not use BS 476 fire tests.

On 31/10/2021 at 09:07, ADLIan said:

The NI Regs and technical documents are woefully out of date. Post Grenfell. England, Wales and Scotland quickly updated the guidance and I do not think Class 0 is now referenced. Class 0 is not a BS 476 classification but a ‘made up’ classification within the Approved Docs. Both Celotex and Kingspan hid behind this classification despite the manufacturing standard for PUR foam not referencing BS476 at all - should be BS EN 13501 but this would have shown their products to be combustible (Euroclass C or D?). Hence the post Grenfell sh*t storm.

Note that many building products are now manufactured to harmonised European standards (BS ENs) which do not use BS 476 fire tests.

Yeah N Ireland generally lag behind England guidance by up 10 years or so. Ridiculous really they should just adopt England guidance. One benefit is occasionally they can improve on guidance that has been out a while with the benefit of hindsight. Sometimes it’s more confused (so occasionally refer to England guidance for comparison) With a population of 1.7 million why oh why should they think it necessary to have their own regulations & guidance.

Thanks for that I didn’t realise that class 0 had been binned elsewhere. it was a bit of a strange classification TBH. Class 0 would never have inferred a product was non-combustible in N Ireland guidance for this privilege they need A1 rating. Ie Class 0 or euro class B requirement for circulation spaces linings.

but our guidance still allow class 0 or euro class B to surface of buildings over 18m 1m from a boundary ??? It is technical ok but so open to poor interpretation. Some might think that funny. Thank the lord we don’t have many tall buildings. 

Edited by Gordo