Uvpc fascia... When to install

Dee

Roof is buttoned and ready to tile 

On past projects using timber fascias I installed them before tiling yet I've read that with plastic it goes on after tiling... Advise please 

I use 18mm plastics but would never just use them to support tiles - I nail / screw 25mm board on first (4x1 or 6x1). Roof can be tiled then, leave the board 25mm proud of the roof timbers to give the  necessary kick.  Nail fascia on at your leasure, remember to tell the roofers the plan so they leave adequate tile overhang for the gutters.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I use 18mm plastics but would never just use them to support tiles - I nail / screw 25mm board on first (4x1 or 6x1). Roof can be tiled then, leave the board 25mm proud of the roof timbers to give the  necessary kick.  Nail fascia on at your leasure, remember to tell the roofers the plan so they leave adequate tile overhang for the gutters.

That's exactly how ours was done.  Our roofers also fitted the fascias, so got the overhang right on the slates.  The only slight problem we have is that our in-roof PV panels are fitted with the lower edges flush with the edges of the slates, but are about 20 to 30mm higher.  In very heavy rain this causes water to overshoot the gutter in two places.  I'm thinking about fitting wider gutters to try and alleviate the problem.

• Like 1

@CC45. I get what you're saying but I've already cut the rafters to allow for the overhang and its pretty tight so I don't think I've got the distance to do it....the dormer is about 2. 4m sq at eaves so could I run a continuous wedge on top of and along the rafters to support the tiles 

Dee, just put a batten to give the kick. Your fascia will have to be nailed to the rafters.

Peter, you can but since I wanted wood behind our plastic fascia I killed two jobs in one.  Even the thick plastic fascia isnt that strong.

I always use deepflow gutters, bit more cash but no more extra work.

• Like 1

@CC45. In the end we cut continuous wedges (one on each side) to rest the eaves tiles on and to give a kick.... 

Problem though.... The kick is 50mm high and today I set the first eaves tiles and the first bonnets on the  first batton but the first  full tiles don't hook over the batton above , the angle is either too steep or  the kick really needs to be about another 20mm higher! But if I did this it would cause a dip in the felt and any water would puddle.... Does that make sense? 

At a loss 

It might be that you need to move the batten down, but if not, I wouldn't worry about it, remember that every tile for the first two rows (and then every 5th) row needs to be nailed. If need be use slightly longer nails

• Like 1