Tiling makeup surrounding shower tray

djcdan

I am a while off tiling yet, but will be setting out the bathrooms imminently and want to double check I have understood the makeup of tiling around the shower tray correct. One of our shower trays in enclosed and has studwork either end of the shower tray, so want to ensure I am leaving adequate space for the shower tray etc.

image.png.dc549569bc25d775b3b6f694af44cb70.png

This is a cross-section of my current understanding. 

Moisture board (blue) fixed to studwork (yellow). Shower tray (light grey) butted against the moisture board. Then tile adhesive (dark grey) applied to moisture board and tiled (green).

Am I correct in saying there is a 6mm allowance for tile adhesive and a 'standard' porcelain tile has a depth of 8mm?

1 hour ago, nod said:

You want the tray to butt up tight against the studs eg 900 tray 905 opening 

8 mil tile = 8 mil adhesive 

Only if the footer is doubled up and you can get mechanical fixings through the moisture boards. Never have the bottom of the boards where they are not against the full run of horizontal timber work EVER. 
I never butt the tray to the studs, I always drop the MR plasterboard / other to the floor and then the tray goes up against that sealed and bonded accordingly. 

Oh, and reconsider green tiles lol. They’re a bold choice :D 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nod said:

8 mil tile = 8 mil adhesive 

Cheers. I'll remember for adhesive depth to match tile depth

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I never butt the tray to the studs, I always drop the MR plasterboard / other to the floor and then the tray goes up against that sealed and bonded accordingly. 

It seems there are differing opinions, but this might be the better solution for us. Another of our shower trays is installed against a stud that has resilient bars and double boarding, which has a depth of 46mm. So having the tray butt against studs would mean a significant amount of the tray becoming 'lost' under the res bars/double board.

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Oh, and reconsider green tiles lol. They’re a bold choice :D 

Lol. I have left tile choice down to the other half. No idea what she has planned, but pretty sure she won't be choosing a dark green tile. ?

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

14 minutes = average time to enjoy a pint. 

Considering I've already bought our shower trays without upstands, I'll seal it and leave myself with extra beer time ?

24 minutes ago, djcdan said:

It seems there are differing opinions, but this might be the better solution for us. Another of our shower trays is installed against a stud that has resilient bars and double boarding, which has a depth of 46mm. So having the tray butt against studs would mean a significant amount of the tray becoming 'lost' under the res bars/double board.

Lol. I have left tile choice down to the other half. No idea what she has planned, but pretty sure she won't be choosing a dark green tile. ?

Considering I've already bought our shower trays without upstands, I'll seal it and leave myself with extra beer time ?

All of the resin ones I come across don’t have up-stands But the fiberglass ones do 

We always run the board flush with the up-stands 
We normally wit for the trays to land on site as they can vary by a few mil 

Most site mangers want to see the board overlapping by 10 mil 

We normally board them and cut the bottom 450 off and  screw it to the back wall for the plumber to put in after he’s fitted the tray 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, djcdan said:

You wouldn’t butt it against the stud in that case You would allow the tray size plus 5 mil from the first layer of board 

Your looking for one board either edge  to lap on to the tray 

Ive framed hundreds of these and tiled even more 

• Like 1