Large 2 part window installation

MortarThePoint

Most places I am using tile cills, but not in a couple of pleases. One of those is a 3.3m width by 1.3m high window that is made up of two frames coupled together, but a single cill running underneath. I'm wondering how to install this. This is heavy 100mm PVCu frames (Residence 9) with glass already in. Normal practice is to stick the cill to the frame prior to installation, but I'm not sure that makes sense. Possible approaches:

1. Couple the two frames together and stick the cill on prior to installation of the whole lot. Heavy and hard to handle
  2. Attach one window frame to the cill and fit like that, then stick the second window frame to the cill during its installation
  3. Somehow install just the cill (drill and screw?) and then install the two window frames afterwards, sticking them to the cill

Any tips gratefully received. I don't think the first option is practical given the weight and that it's just two of us installing the windows with their glass already in.

Edited by MortarThePoint

Windows will likely be transport glazed, take glass out of both, install frames with coupling profile and cill (you’ll probably have to screw through the frames, worth checking).

Then reinstall the glass, making sure you heel and toe.

3 hours ago, craig said:

Windows will likely be transport glazed, take glass out of both, install frames with coupling profile and cill (you’ll probably have to screw through the frames, worth checking).

Then reinstall the glass, making sure you heel and toe.

Thanks Craig. I think the glass may be bonded in so could be an issue removing the glass.  If I remove the sashes I'd be worried keeping it all just so (e.g. super square) so the sashes can go back in OK

Just for clarity, are these fixed windows or openable windows? The reasons for asking, is you mention sashes. Which indicates openable windows, as the sash is the moveable part. If yes, then simply take the sash out from the frame and then pop the sashes back in once installed and reduces the weight for installation.

How this is achieved can vary depending on safety device/hinging/scissor stays used

Just now, craig said:

Just for clarity, are these fixed windows or openable windows? The reasons for asking, is you mention sashes. Which indicates openable windows, as the sash is the moveable part. If yes, then simply take the sash out from the frame and then pop the sashes back in once installed and reduces the weight for installation.

How this is achieved can vary depending on safety device/hinging/scissor stays used

With the Residence 9 flush casement system dummy sashes are actually normal sashes without handles and there is apparently a trick to opening them.

I have r9 windows and you can't take the sashes or glass out easily and certainly wouldn't be doing on my brand new windows. It is possible, but you would want to be experienced in the window system to do it.

We have 3m x 2.6m r9 doors.

Due to the scariness of fitting i got the supplier to fit.

The correct way is to join everything together and then install.

Bottom line is you need lots of bodies and hopefully it is on the ground floor!

53 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

I have r9 windows and you can't take the sashes or glass out easily and certainly wouldn't be doing on my brand new windows. It is possible, but you would want to be experienced in the window system to do it.

We have 3m x 2.6m r9 doors.

Due to the scariness of fitting i got the supplier to fit.

The correct way is to join everything together and then install.

Bottom line is you need lots of bodies and hopefully it is on the ground floor!

Thanks. It's on the first floor above a void unfortunately. We'll make a small scaffold for it, but may need to enlist some more hands unless we can work out installing in sections.

On 20/09/2021 at 18:56, craig said:

I found the information below in another one of their documents. This looks good for installing in sections. Any idea what the material I have circled in red is? It's not something the windows have come with and I presume it is something slightly compliant to avoid pressure concentrations.

image.png.7f66fffe7921eb5bf62faae9cfd7b8ed.png

• 2 weeks later...