Mains supply questions I don't understand

saveasteading

Have been asked questions by the Electric supplier and don't know what they mean let alone how to answer.

we have a single phase supply, and see from the pylons that there is 3 phase available (transformer on the post).

We are designing for an ASHP which I am estimating will be 15kW (based on info on build-hub, and a near neighbour's spec)

Also a water pump as the water comes from a well above, but has negligible head.

So have asked SSEN for  a quote and they ask us:

Please provide the following information for each piece of equipment:

Starting Current (in amps)

Starting Method (Soft Start/Direct on Line/ Star Delta.

Rating kW.

I can't ask the supplier as we are nowhere near that stage, but are planning ahead.

Therefore any credible answers will do for now.

If someone can explain why they need to know the start method, then that would be interesting.

So for a 15kW heat pump, assume about 7kW worst case continuous electrical power which at 230V is 32 Amps.

So starting current 32A

Soft Start inverter driven

rating 7kW

They are paranoid about starting current, as older direct on line heat pumps had a very high starting current which would cause a momentary dip in voltage.

• Like 1

I'm back already.

Forgot that it would be sensible to include a vehicle charger.

Their form to fill in asks for manufacturers and models.

For the ashp I can pick a Daikin 15kW and find a reference, unless you who know better want to advise.

No idea re vehicle charger, and in any case it will be different in a year.

They want not only the model, but a datasheet!!!

But can you give me any tips to move this forward, just to get an estimate for 3 phase supply.

btw, this is an old farm  building, and I expected to see redundant 3phase switch gear, but no, there has only been single phase.