Reasonable notice to a neighbour for utility connection

We have the absolute right within our deeds to connect to all services over the access driveway owned by our neighbour. 

This neighbour has been difficult to say the least so....

Question is what is the minimum notice that we have to provide to inform them that we are going to dig up the driveway to connect the water supply and surface water drain?

A week would be plenty 

A couple of days would be adequate

If United Utilities needed to dig it up 

They would just come and do it and put a steel plate over the trench for you and your neighbor to get in and out 

My guess would be if you gave them a months notice It wouldn’t be enough 

Get your date off the Utilities and post a not through there door 

If it doesnt say anything in your deeds then I suspect you don't have to give any notice.

I would tell them something like..

"At some point over the next 10 (?) weeks you will need to exercise your right to run services over their driveway in accordance with the terms of your deeds. You anticipate this will require trenches to be dug and may take y days to complete the work. Unfortunately you do not yet know when the work will be carried out as you are at the mercy of abc utility company. However you will endevour to keep them informed and give them as much notice as possible".

• Like 3

On 16/09/2021 at 08:08, Happy Valley said:

Thanks for the responses. I think I will check with the utility suppliers as to what they recommend or if there is a precedent with this. As stated in the initial post the minimum notice is the one we are seeking. 

I would guess what  the neighbours are worried about is the finish of the road after the job- so make sure what warranty the ultilites company give to final finish and convey that to neighbours