Ebay solar kits

thomas

Has anyone brought and installed any of the cheap ebay solar kits?

I am looking at one from energystore2, but I am not too sure if I am just going to get some rocks in a box :D

Does anyone have any thoughts?

It's going on a flat roof so I'll just modify the mounting system.

4Kw array for around £2265 inc
12* JA Solar 335W Solar Panels (Dimensions - 2000mm x 991mm)
1* Solis 4kW Dual tracker Inverter
1* Schletter Roof Mounting System (Layout - 2 Rows of 6 Portrait - including roof hooks, rails, end/mid clamps etc)
1* Santon AC Isolator
1* K&N DC Isolator
1* Emlite Generation Meter
1* 50m DC Cable
2* Pairs of MC4 Connectors
1* Safety Label Set
1 * Fitting Instructions

I bought all my parts from different suppliers to get the best price.  Panels from Bimble Solar who sell on their own website and on ebay. and inverter from someone else.  Solis inverters have a good reputation.

I used Unistrut to make my mounting frame, it is a lot cheaper than the aluminium rail systems sold for PV panels and in many ways more versatile particularly if you want to make a custom frame.

Hi Dave 

Thank you for your reply.

I've read your thread on your solar 'shed' but I could not see a break down on what you brought, would you mind sharing it or if I've missed the post linking it to please?

I've looked at individual components and so far I've not managed to save any money over the kits but will keep trying.

23 hours ago, ProDave said:

I used Unistrut to make my mounting frame, it is a lot cheaper than the aluminium rail systems sold for PV panels and in many ways more versatile particularly if you want to make a custom frame.

Isn't there a problem with galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals i.e. zinc (4 shells 2 outer electrons) and aluminium (3 shells, 3 outer electrons).

Many module manufacturers will not warrantee their product unless a recognised mounting system is used.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Isn't there a problem with galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals i.e. zinc (4 shells 2 outer electrons) and aluminium (3 shells, 3 outer electrons).

Many module manufacturers will not warrantee their product unless a recognised mounting system is used.

Could be perhaps but no signs of issues 3 years on.  I used to have a table of all the different metals and the closer they were on the table the better.  About all I can remember from that was Cadium plated steel screws were okay in aluminium, brass screws were very bad.

If in doubt coat the mating surface with something like Duralac, we use it on the boat when fixing anything into aluminium and generally use stainless steel fixings.