How to lay edging?

gc100

So my drive is about 160m with a parking area in front of the house which is about 50m circumference  . The roadway/drive  up to this area is an old concrete road that’s in pretty bad shape and the new parking area is crush concrete compacted down. The plan is to put about 2-3 inch of planings on top and then tarmac spray gravel dressing. I’m wanting to put edging around the parking area to give it a more crisp edge and to hold in the drive buildup. (Down the drive it will just be soil either side). I’ve got some edging stone just delivered and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to lay them.

Setting out should be fine but I’m wondering how I’m going to fix them in. I’ll need to dig out a bit of of the concrete crush where it meets the garden/soil. I suppose the best thing would be to put some concrete down and bed them into that to a draw line. I’m wondering though if I could just get away with sand (what type?) as it will basically be sitting between the soil and the tarmac.

Anyone know what’s best?

They have to be concreted in to stop the surface spreading out when you turn the car. Set your levels up to whatever height they need to be and using a string line bed the kerb/edging on a dry mix. Then using more concrete haunch the front of the kerb slightly so you leave enough height for what ever is going on top. Put a good amount of concrete on the back of the edging as it's this that will stop it from tipping over.

• Thanks 1

I thought for a minute that you were somebody from around here, where aitches 'ardly 'ever 'appen, talking about controlling your hedges.

Favourite anecdote.

Sister announcing at breakfast table: "We are gong to have an arbour in the back garden."

Niece, at age about 6: "With ships?" 

F

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

On hot days the tar can melt and get onto shoes so if your car has light carpet or you wear shoes indoors it can get everywhere.

My folks have this type of dressing and they’ve never experienced that - perhaps they just have a lot of dressing. My fathers cousin did the work as he had a large professional company doing that. They will be doing mine.