My shower - he goes Clunk !

I have a strange noise somewhere in (I think) my shower pipework.

When I turn the hot tap off abruptly at the wash basin there is a "ker-lunk" from somewhere in the shower pipework (I think).

Can anyone give any thoughts about what I need to look for? For example is it likely to be a pipe loose in its mounting?

The bathroom was completely redone a few years ago.

It sounds like a variety of waterhammer to me, of which I am familiar as pipe vibrations at previous houses.

Thanks

Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

I have a strange noise somewhere in (I think) my shower pipework.

When I turn the hot tap off abruptly at the wash basin there is a "ker-lunk" from somewhere in the shower pipework (I think).

Can anyone give any thoughts about what I need to look for? For example is it likely to be a pipe loose in its mounting?

The bathroom was completely redone a few years ago.

It sounds like a variety of waterhammer to me, of which I am familiar as pipe vibrations at previous houses.

Thanks

Ferdinand

Loose pipe

• Like 1

When the water stops suddenly you get a shockwave going back up the pipe. This can make noises several ways, sometimes at sharp bends or one way valves.

There are water hammer arrestors available but Ive never needed one..

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/hammer-arresters/cat10420003

I believe they are just a pipe with air in acting as a spring (and perhaps a piston/seal to stop the air dissolving in the water?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Temp said:

When the water stops suddenly you get a shockwave going back up the pipe. This can make noises several ways, sometimes at sharp bends or one way valves.

There are water hammer arrestors available but Ive never needed one..

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/hammer-arresters/cat10420003

I believe they are just a pipe with air in acting as a spring (and perhaps a piston/seal to stop the air dissolving in the water?)

It's been fine for about 4 years, so I am hoping I can trace tthe bit that has suddenly come loose.