Part E Building Regs. Solution for existing floors

Sjp1

I own a mixed residential shop with 8 studios above. Old Edwardian high street building Historically the correct building regulations were not in place and so I have made an application for regularisation to get it up to standard and to comply. 
The council came round and have given me a list of 52 items of work - some major eg sprinkler systems in each unit, lobbies, fire boarding and some smaller. I think I can achieve compliance with most things within what I have budgeted fir the works however one major problem which will financial cripple me is that they will not negotiate or help to find a solution to the acoustics/flooring. Presently everywhere has original butt edged floorboarding in the whole building and they are saying everywhere has to be stripped, new flooring put down (which will mean kitchens have to be removed, fittings and fixtures and tenants moved out)
Has anyone any ideas how I can achieve compliancy but not have to literally empty flats out of tenants, kitchens, fixtures and then out new flooring down?

Unfortunately you won’t be able to without major upheaval 

Ido a lot of soundproofing as part of my business The last one I did retrospectively was a 50 mil batts laid on the existing floors Then a insulated chipboard floating floor glued and laid on top 

You will have to take doors casings and kitchen out 

1 hour ago, nod said:

Unfortunately you won’t be able to without major upheaval 

Ido a lot of soundproofing as part of my business The last one I did retrospectively was a 50 mil batts laid on the existing floors Then a insulated chipboard floating floor glued and laid on top 

You will have to take doors casings and kitchen out 

Below is one we are doing today 

Steel joists 140 acoustic insulation 100 mill slab Dropped MF ceiling Two layer of 15 mil sound block 

The regs are so tight compared to even five years ago 

34A5F5C4-6C8F-4F1E-BC09-C7DF239BA136.jpeg

4 hours ago, Sjp1 said:

I own a mixed residential shop with 8 studios above. Old Edwardian high street building Historically the correct building regulations were not in place and so I have made an application for regularisation to get it up to standard and to comply. 
The council came round and have given me a list of 52 items of work - some major eg sprinkler systems in each unit, lobbies, fire boarding and some smaller. I think I can achieve compliance with most things within what I have budgeted fir the works however one major problem which will financial cripple me is that they will not negotiate or help to find a solution to the acoustics/flooring. Presently everywhere has original butt edged floorboarding in the whole building and they are saying everywhere has to be stripped, new flooring put down (which will mean kitchens have to be removed, fittings and fixtures and tenants moved out)
Has anyone any ideas how I can achieve compliancy but not have to literally empty flats out of tenants, kitchens, fixtures and then out new flooring down?

yeah as nod says its going to take a bit of work and upheaval, mainly to get the impact isolation sorted, but also will probably need to take the ceilings down.

Have a look at the attached for the type of build up you will need for a conversion

jcw-acoustic-refurb-deck-data-sheet.pdf

I would make sure that you get it in writing from your BCO that you are targeting ADE for a conversion rather than new build as this gives you a 2 dB relaxation in the criteria set out in ADE

Edited by Moonshine

51 minutes ago, nod said:

Below is one we are doing today 

Steel joists 140 acoustic insulation 100 mill slab Dropped MF ceiling Two layer of 15 mil sound block 

The regs are so tight compared to even five years ago 

That looks commercial rather than resi? 

29 minutes ago, nod said:

Residential is even tighter

There is no acoustic provision under Approved document E (building regs) for offices or shops, ADE only applies to resi and schools.

There is plenty of design guidelines for the acoustics of commercial / offices, but noting required under the regs.

Edited by Moonshine

2 hours ago, Moonshine said:

There is no acoustic provision under Approved document E (building regs) for offices or shops, ADE only applies to resi and schools.

There is plenty of design guidelines for the acoustics of commercial / offices, but noting required under the regs.

Yep 

we work to the the Architects spec 

Acoustics and fire are always very good