Skylights and Scottish regulations

I find myself confused by the Scottish rules for escape skylights. I have read them several times, along with similar summaries and it is not clear.

Have asked others to read it and get different interpretations.

Also surprised that the manufacturers don't say more about it.

This is for a conversion to dwelling with  2 bedrooms upstairs and a stair midway between the rooms and down into an open plan room.

What I think is required is this, but this is more interpretation of the intent, than what the words say.

If there is a protected stair, then an upper room leading directly to it does not need a fire escape window.

If there is a secondary room off that first room, then that extra room does need an escape window.

If the stair is not fire protected, ie open plan either at first or ground floor, then a fire escape window/skylight is required in each room.

ie the upstairs rooms need an escape window each.

I am also assuming that a 'protected stair' is fireproof with self closing fire doors, ie not suitable for domestic.

Topmost storey not more than 4.5m 1 route of escape, early warning [3], and:
• escape windows (see clause 2.9.4)

You need escape windows - I'm not sure what the confusion is?

If your top storey is more than 4.5m you need the protected enclosure but still escape windows

Edited by the_r_sole

25 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

You need escape windows - I'm not sure what the confusion is?

If your top storey is more than 4.5m you need the protected enclosure but still escape windows

So is this stricter than England where I thought it was either / or for the staircase / escape windows?