DIY Air Conditioning

sohail

I am looking to DIY install Air Con at my property and wouldn't know where to begin.  The Dimensions of the rooms are

Bedroom 1 4.555m x 3.379m

Bedroom 2 5.115m x 2.626m

Bedroom 3 4.252m x 2.626m

Bedroom 4 4.256m x 3.379m

Living Room 4.775m x 4.336m

is anyone able to guide me?  what should i be looking at?

Those air to air units are pre gassed with the refrigerant gas, and rely on you being competent to make a gas tight connection on the pipes when you install them.  If not all your refrigerant gas will leak out.

It is a grey area whether is is even legal for a non F Gas registered person to install these.

Maybe start with the worst rooms.  Just single split systems will work fine if you have space outside.  Don't attempt the full install yourself - as @ProDave says get an F-Gas qualified engineer to do the pipework and commissioning.  They may be happy for you to supply and mount the units and do the prep work, arrange correct electrics etc.  The A/C supplier may give you some contacts.

• 4 weeks later...

House?

Roof trusses at 600 centres?

No attic conversion?

Mostly to keep bedrooms at a sane sleeping temperature and knock the edge off living room temperature?

With the benefit of hindsight:

I'd get a single split with a compact ceiling cassette. Stick that in the upstairs landing ceiling.

Refrigerant pipework runs through attic and down an outside wall.

Condensate drain runs up a little (they have lift pumps inside them) then drops down into the bathroom or tees into an outside soil stack.

Doors open upstairs during the day. A/C cools the bedrooms.

Doors closed at night. A/C will cool the staircase and rooms off it.if it didn't already do so during the day. Works best with an open plan downstairs. 

You don't want, or need, individual coolers in each room in a UK climate.

They're overkill. They're also noisy and bulky and draining the condensate is a pain. (no lift pumps so you're almost guaranteed to be running it outside)

Also blinds.

Also a pergola and some grape vines for downstairs. There's a reason all southern grandads have vines.

I have an a2a split with wall mounted indoor unit downstairs because attic conversion and because there wasn't a neat route for the lines to get to a wall mounted unit in the upstairs landing in my place and I'd just renovated before deciding that I wanted one.

I'll may end up reinstalling to the upstairs landing anyway and surface running the pipework. Or sleeping in the living room on the very worst nights!

• Like 1