Subbase Queries

Hi all. I've laid a fairly deep subbase, say 200mm in 50mm layers, on top of a non woven geotextile membrane down the side of our house between my neighbour and I, and plan to lay porcelain tiles on top in the future.  For the time being I wanted to make the area safe as the area had been partially excavated when we had our fence replaced due to our side being 500mm higher than our neighbours (we had to previously excavate a footwide trench to remove the old posts/gravel boards). I plan to take up the rest of our patio which links round, and lay a new subbase for this in the future (existing slabs currently laid on clay ?)

I have a few queries having not laid a patio before.

Is the compacted subbase a suitable temporary finish or will it degrade over time?..if so, how long can you leave it before adding the tiles on top?

Do I need a weed membrane on top of the subbase? I can't imagine weeds will grow between the subbase and the tiles, but would like to know if this does often happen.

Do I need to introduce movement joints into the subbase, and/or tiles?

Can I lay the subbase in sections? We're altering the house in the future, which will create a larger patio area but I can't lay the subbase for this until we begin the alteration works. If it is possible to lay the subbase is sections, is there anything I need to do to teeth the different sections together?

Thanks for reading!

On Q2, I  think it depends what you are laying your tiles on, and what your subbase is made of. If there is mortar under the tiles then probably OK, or if you are pointing between them. Remember that motar or concrete may react porcelain or stain it. Check that.

If you lay on sand over the subbase with no pointing then stuff will grow eventually, yes. Also possibly ants will nest, if it matters.

Or perhaps the dynamic will be different if you lay it more loosely on small gravel, as on the continent.

Paving expert has  several pages about it.

https://www.pavingexpert.com/porcelain_03

(TBH if this is your first patio, then I would check the Wickes good idea publication, and also read the entire paving expert website about everything just for background purposes).

One thing to think about is how are you managing the edge near your fence to protect the fence, and for maintenance of the fence (no contact panels to ground, think about replacing posts).

F