Stud wall construction on floating floor

James Duke

Screw through the floor into whatever is underneath. once saw a flooting floor with stud wall fixed just to the upper floating part ... heavy doors played havoc with plumb and the floor

You would normally fix a sole plate to the floor for your studs layout Then install your floor in each room With a 20 mil expansion gap around each sole plate and the perimeter 

You shouldn’t fix anything through the FF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nod said:

You would normally fix a sole plate to the floor for your studs layout Then install your floor in each room With a 20 mil expansion gap around each sole plate and the perimeter 

Thanks nod. I was thinking of taking the FF up as the insulation and chipboard is damp due to a leak. Fixing a soleplate to the concrete and building the stud wall up from there, then re-laying the floor on either side of the new wall.  I understand the concrete has a DPM on top so can I screw into this or is there another way of fixing the sole plate? 

If you roll a length of dpc un the sole plate Then fix through it 

Im guessing  you already have plaster on the wall If so reduce the gap to 10 mil and cover the  gap with the skirting board 

But you need to leave the gap clear 

3 hours ago, nod said:

Shows I know nothing ??‍♂️

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, nod said:

If you roll a length of dpc un the sole plate Then fix through it 

Im guessing  you already have plaster on the wall If so reduce the gap to 10 mil and cover the  gap with the skirting board 

But you need to leave the gap clear 

Thanks Nod, this has been really helpful.