Can Tenants object to planning applications or just Landlords?

Gimp

Just been wondering on this one, I'm due to submit for planning soon and I know on at least one side of my site the place is rented out to tenants. In general they are less likely to be fussed as they don't own the place they live in (not that my proposed build is likely to impact much anyway). The Landlord of course owns the place but does not live there so can the Landlord really argue that it affects him/her since its the Tenants that hold the tenancy on the place. Any ideas?

People hundreds of miles away with no connection to the property (eg Anyone) can write in support or raise objections.

However only "valid" planning issues will/should be considered. The impact on the value of a neighbouring property is not considered a valid planning reason for refusal. Nor is loss of a view etc.

Edited by Temp

Since the Council are entirely and dedicatedly objective and fair minded it will make no difference anyway :-).

Or .. what may happen is that T will not pass on notification to LL, so LL will not hear of it - depending on locality / dedication of LL. If you want to dialogue with LL, you can probably get it from the Contact on the Land Registry record for £3, or by asking the tenant.

My recommendation would be not to try to go too far beyond the rules with a LL neighbour who may not be aware, or they may suddenly notice at an inconvenient moment and go ape. And some LLs have the capital and property / legal knowledge to make things difficult.

If you are confident that your build is fine, then I think it may be a case to deliberately make the LL aware of your Application. 

Ferdinand

10 hours ago, Gimp said:

[...]

The Landlord of course owns the place but does not live there so can the Landlord really argue that it affects him/her since its the Tenants that hold the tenancy on the place. Any ideas?

Objections: forewarned is forearmed. Here's some practical help

May I suggest that if you are pressed for time you follow the link (above) to the Government's own advice of what cannot be considered.

My oh my, sooooo much rubbish is routinely talked about planning proposals.

I once objected to a planning app for mineral extraction near a beauty spot near New Lanark, Scotland - even though we live in Berkshire (we were on holiday up there as it's near the wife's parents).

All accepted and I still get regular communication from the LA on it... 

For a wind farm near us there were several hundred letters of objections from people living within 1 km and several hundred pre-printed post cards in support collected by the developer in a town 20km away. Some of the folks who submitted post cards lived hundreds of miles away.