Resin Bound Slippery When Wet

linux_cat

Hi all, new to the forum and I hope someone can help.

Last August, I got a resin bound driveway installed, very happy with it generally however when it rains the slope parts of my driveway are very very slippery. I have been assured that crushed glassed was part of the mixture, and when it's dry its great.

Is this slippage normal? it is Resin Bound. Is there anything I can do to make it anti-slip/safer. I have heard I can reseal it?.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

45 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I think you need to approach the manufacturer and installer.  Something is not right.

I'd agree - my resin bound driveway is never slippy (unlike the polished limestone slabs which can be like glass when wet).

On our install, the crushed glass was scattered on before the resin had set, although given the drive has been pressure washed a few times it may not be there any more!

1 hour ago, linux_cat said:

Unfortunately I’ve tried, although I did do my due diligence the company has since folded. 

is there any remedial work that can be done?.

So many of these so called companies trade for a couple of years  Then fold 

If he’s not LTD which most of these traders arnt 

You can Pursue him through the small claims court    Good luck 

35 minutes ago, linux_cat said:

Yeah, unfortunately they had ltd companies.

is it possible to re-seal it with something?

Whilst I’ve never laid a resin drive I’ve seen quite a few being installed 

The fine glass they throw on at the end is your non slip coating 

My guess would be they haven’t put any on Or haven’t put enough on 

There are all sorts of non slip coatings out there that you can roll on 

Quarts being one that’s suitable for tarmac and concrete You can’t be the first one to have this problem 

I would contact a resin manufacturer 

My guess would be they have a product for this 

Thanks spoke to a company, essentially I would need to relay the resin (glue part) and then sprinkle the crushed glass over the top. 

I live in Ascot/Bracknell if anyone has recommendation of some reputable companies please do let me know. 

Thanks

They will need to carefully clean the surface with acetone to ensure the new resin bonds to the old resin before the glass is scattered. It’s not just something they can roller over the top. 

Peter just bet me to it - was going to say that very little sticks to resin well so its not just a case of brushing or rolling some sealer on. The surface is already very well sealed (Resin loves to form a smooth surface) mixing glass with the resin will do nothing for grip as the glass will be fully coated and smooth so it has to be added when the surface is just about to go off. Timing is very important, too early and it sinks, too late and it will wash away.