Concrete slab

nickw

Can anyone recommend me a company in Devon /SW for pouring my slab. size is approx 8.8m x 23.5m, depth is 175.

Have tried a fair few and either no response or they don't want to walk on the mesh with UFH pipes on it. Any ideas. Probably just floated off at this stage, so not the hardest of jobs I would have thought.

Edited by nickw

• 2 weeks later...

Had various companies not even respond when asked for a quote. Did get one response, wanted 6k for for bull floating the slab...that's of course on top of the 5k ish concrete cost and 600 for the pump. Days work at 6k , good money then, i'm def in the wrong business. 

Tried the concrete companies for recommendations ..so far nothing...all too busy or just can't be bothered to respond. 

Oh to cap it off the 6k quote insisted that he wouldn't do the job if UFH pipes tied to mesh, would require another layer of mesh to protect them.

7 hours ago, nickw said:

Had various companies not even respond when asked for a quote. Did get one response, wanted 6k for for bull floating the slab...that's of course on top of the 5k ish concrete cost and 600 for the pump. Days work at 6k , good money then, i'm def in the wrong business. 

Tried the concrete companies for recommendations ..so far nothing...all too busy or just can't be bothered to respond. 

Oh to cap it off the 6k quote insisted that he wouldn't do the job if UFH pipes tied to mesh, would require another layer of mesh to protect them.

How big is your slab and volume of concrete?

Is site access restricted so you have to pump it?

I have been using a supplier with a truck with a conveyor that has made the slab pour pretty easy and cheaper than a pump.

20210625_081430.thumb.jpg.3b1ad9cb916529853ce0b009fd53a922.jpg

Access is good no issues, had the strips done and used a pump for those. Size of the slab is 23.2 x 8.4m , depth 175mm, nice easy rectangle shape. Could use conveyors for the pour but the extra they charge for each load would mean not that much difference in cost for having the pump out for the day, plus the company doesn't have them on each lorry so probably couldn't do the loads on turn around. 

38 minutes ago, nickw said:

Could use conveyors for the pour but the extra they charge for each load would mean not that much difference in cost for having the pump out for the day

fair enough, due to the limited size of my slab and partial fills of my retaining walls its more cost effective for me to pay the £80 extra for the conveyor per loads than the pump cost.

Why don't the 3 of you in Devon/Cornwall help each other?

Can't really recommend pumping over conveyor from the photo as it doesn't look as big as you say, and can't see whether the height up is a problem.

Plus hire a couple of labourers from an agency.

Hire a poker and whatever you need for the finishing. 

Update this morning, had a word with Darren @procrete, he will come out to site and quote properly, but overall ballpark figure was reasonable so looks like it will be with them. Very helpful on the phone too which is more than I can say for some of the others i've spoken to. 

Ty Moonshine for the recommendation ?

• 5 months later...

I know this is quite late. Putting it here for future reference.

I ended up using two companies:

the first was CM Hill near Exeter, who supplied the pump and men, and then they used another concrete company - they poured the foundation.

the second was Plymcrete, who have their own pump and insist on using their own concrete, but I saw this as a plus, and was very impressed. Used them for pouring ICF walls. They have a limited radius in which they work.

• Like 1