Lead Sealant Pointing

steveoelliott

Hi Folks,

On an otherwise fairly neat job, I have noticed that areas around the leadmate sealant on one of the saddles have small gaps per the photograph. Now whilst it doesn't "appear" to be presenting a problem, it's more of a minor cosmetic one as far I can tell. I came across this while getting ready to clean it down and treat with patination oil (something seemingly omitted after being installed).

image.jpeg.1dab43248af224a09bd21828899034f3.jpeg

Couple of questions for the experienced,  firstly is it worth doing anything with? My father takes the view it's not causing you a problem so leave it alone. Secondly, what would be involved, would it require all the sealant to be pulled out of the chase and reapplied? I haven't been able to find anything about re-pointing with leadmate / sealant. I guess it hasn't probably been needed for the most part. 

Thanks in advance...

• 5 months later...
43 minutes ago, Freddie Aldred said:

Can I ask you a question - is this flashing over coping stones on a flat roof orangery? If so I am having this built and the builder has not put flashing over the coping stones?! I would be interested to see a better picture of how your flat roof and coping stones have been done 

This will give you a better overview of what I have...

Mine is a flat roof with parapet walls for a roof terrace. There are now slabs down on it.

I was far from happy with mine as water ponds on my roof and it holds ~40 liters that doesn't drain away.

Incidentally, I have now had that lead pointing / sealing that this post refers replaced.