Practical starting point - v2

So, our planning application is in progress. 'Internal Target Date' is July 2nd. Our 'plot' is a 50/50 garden split of just over 1-acre total.

I feel capable of undertaking this build, but this is our first project of this size, so could do with some words of wisdom to get me out of the starting blocks. What are the first steps on site?

We have quotes for Mains Electric and Water (both need updating). The water run is VERY long (150m). We can use the existing bungalow for water and electric until we sell it and of course don't want to market it until the planning is approved, so we have a good 2-3 months of headroom there. It's a desirable property, we are optimistic about the sale though.

What are the Groundworks/Site Prep steps? Did you employ a company to do all the Groundworks as a package or split it up? I know some of you are experienced builders who may have the benefit of doing all this yourself.

There is a list of jobs to tackle, but I don't feel these can be done until planning is passed...

* We haven't yet bought a caravan to live in.

* We will need to buy loads of HERAS fencing.

* We need to fence the plot split (80m - through landscaped gardens)

* We need to demolish a garage

* We have a few trees and shrubs to clear

I am minded to hire a Mini-Digger to test my capability, possibly to buy one if we can justify it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hire the digger out for a weekend and have some fun. Scrape the  actual site of the house of any grass/ weeds etc so when it comes to marking out you have a nice flatish surface.  Dig a few holes in the corners to get a feel of the controls and after the weekend then you will be able to see how your skills are. Just keep the revs no more than 50% so it moves slower  until you get the hang of it. 

Is the garage in the way of the build as it would make the perfect site store/office??

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Hire the digger out for a weekend and have some fun. Scrape the  actual site of the house of any grass/ weeds etc so when it comes to marking out you have a nice flatish surface.  Dig a few holes in the corners to get a feel of the controls and after the weekend then you will be able to see how your skills are. Just keep the revs no more than 50% so it moves slower  until you get the hang of it. 

Is the garage in the way of the build as it would make the perfect site store/office??

Sadly it's right in the way. Would have been ideal for sure.

We certainly don't have the most favourable site access.

2 hours ago, Mulberry View said:

Sadly it's right in the way. Would have been ideal for sure.

We certainly don't have the most favourable site access.

Well then a spend couple of quid and get the digger in for a play and get a feel for one before you buy. Its all hand to eye coordination and some people can do it effortlessly and others are like a robot with one movement at a time.

• Like 1

Best way to teach yourself to drive a digger is to cover up the decals showing you which function/lever movement is which - this way your brain has to react to what you see and feel rather than what you are reading. If im teaching anyone i always cover up the `instructions`

• Thanks 1