DIY driveway?

Alexphd1

Starting to think about driveways. Shortlisted to two options, resin bound (not bonded) or concrete imprinting. Anybody done either on a diy basis, came across a companies offering training on both products. I think the resin would be easier but the concrete a lot cheaper.  

Edited by Alexphd1

Have had concrete imprinting done by a builder who had not done it before. Awful, and I made him grind the surface and do again.

With knowledge of the pitfalls (he would not listen) that would not have happened.

Therefore you need,

A good and level stone base so that the concrete is evenly thick.

Crack control. concrete always cracks, but you can control it by making it in smaller panels with crack inducers where you want.

Consider adding fibre to the mix, again for crack control.

Mix control, as you have to press the shape in at the right time, and could run out of time. This can coincide with your panel control.

Keeping pets and birds off it to avoid permanent footprints.

Plus normal concrete laying skills.

Resin.  It is generally marketed for paths and patios, and usually bonded to something solid (tarmac or concrete under)  Power steering could easily rip it up I fear. Only saying, as have never used it. Best see some 5 years old to check.

They stress the permeability, but for a drive it is only a thin layer onto something solid. Still needs to run off to a drain.

If the drive is only going to have forward or reverse, and no turning then maybe ok.

Happy to be corrected.

All the resin drives installed round our way have been replaced under warranty or removed.  The issue apparently is with the gravel used. If there's a hint of iron in the stone, then it rusts and expands making the whole thing bubble.

And imprinted concrete in freezing weather is slippier than a sheet of ice!!

Simon

15 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

Starting to think about driveways. Shortlisted to two options, resin bound (not bonded) or concrete imprinting. Anybody done either on a diy basis, came across a companies offering training on both products. I think the resin would be easier but the concrete a lot cheaper.  

I am really against the resin bound gravel, I just don't like the environmentals on it, stones bound up with plastic, so no matter what way you look at it it is one day going to be plastic waste, at least concrete and stones and paving can all be crushed and reused. I also don't like the idea of this big mass of plastic sitting on the drive, what can leach out of it?