Benefits of a HW tank

Putting cost considerations aside, what are the benefits of having a tank to store HW?

Two I can think of are having HW in a power cut (assuming electricity is in some used to generate the HW) and having the HW quicker (probably) at a tap/outlet. 

Edited by stubiff

Benefit of a hw tank compared to what?

Compared to a combi boiler, possibly greater hot water flow rate, better shower etc.

HW tank allows you to use a low power source such as an air source heat pump to heat the tank and use solar PV as well to heat it.

Cheap and easy to I stall, especially a vented system.

Reliable, but also easy to fix (vented as you can diy it).

Controllable temperature, can be just about anything you like between just over 0⁰C and under 100⁰ C (okay that is silly, but usable between 35⁰C and 65⁰C).

If vented and pumped, flow rates of your choice.

Can have multiple thermal and electrical energy inputs.

You get an airing cupboard.

I am sure there are others.

Downside is size and standing losses if installed without consideration to thermal losses.

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

standing losses if installed without consideration to thermal losses.

If you store hot water at 48’ like I and others do the losses are very small, means a bigger tank tho,  Also your DHW tank can be considered a battery storing hot water from solar PV.

15 minutes ago, joe90 said:

If you store hot water at 48’ like I and others do the losses are very small, means a bigger tank tho,  Also your DHW tank can be considered a battery storing hot water from solar PV.

Exactly.

But it is not that hard to reduce the losses. Just make the area it is in airtight and well insulated.

I use a combination of sheet PU and mineral wool (to fill in the gaps).

I posted up my DHW temp profile somewhere else.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/uploads/monthly_2021_05/image.png.587b8c485e11d47456cbb9cbf007e46f.png

Edited by SteamyTea

Just now, joe90 said:

I have an insulated tank and er indoors complains the airing cupboard is not warm enough ?‍♂️.

Insulate the cupboard, not the cylinder. Then pipe out the warm, damp air with the MVHR.

Or buy a washing line for a quid at Poundland. You are at home most days.

• Like 1