Can this be done under a non material amendment?

J4mes

Hello,

I'm hoping someone could advise us on what the best course of action is, we have approved plans for a wrap around single story extension to our bungalow, we are on a sloping plot so the height difference at the back door to ground level is around 0.8m, we have the attached design approved with a raised patio and steps leading down to the garden.

Rear ElevationPNG.PNG

PATIO.PNG

We would like to change this by adding raised flower beds along the back of the house, first one at floor level, dropping by 0.4 then dropping again to ground level with steps and a pathway going through them so that we can gradually step down into the garden rather than a sheer drop.

This is the plan we would like;

Amended Garden Plan (2).jpg

We think this may be a non material amendment but are not sure, friends have said raised beds do not need permission as they are not a platform and you will not raising the ground level. We will be having steps and a ramp/pathway through the middle which will be higher than ground level so i think it needs permission.

Could anyone advise on the best course of action, the builders are due to start in 4 weeks and want to do the foundations for the steps and wall at the start of the build.

Many thanks.

Lose the steps. You have enough fall on the last piece to drop it to a slope, possibly drop the whole 800mm if you start from the edge of the square. 

As it is then no longer a “raised platform” it is not required to have planning. 

It will also give you much more usability as do not underestimate the benefit of a step free access to the garden ..!

10 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Lose the steps. You have enough fall on the last piece to drop it to a slope, possibly drop the whole 800mm if you start from the edge of the square. 

As it is then no longer a “raised platform” it is not required to have planning. 

It will also give you much more usability as do not underestimate the benefit of a step free access to the garden ..!

Thanks for the reply, sorry not sure I understand the suggestion, do you mean just change the steps to slopes? The idea we saw was similar to this so we liked the look of it..

Terrace.PNG

I believe if you were to add the raised beds later it would need planning permission. Levelling or raising ground levels significantly is considered an Engineering Operation.  Example case..

https://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1594106/garden-land-raising-held-unlawful

I would ask the planning officer what you need to do. Perhaps best not to show him that photo as in that it looks more like a large raised deck/patio than I think you are proposing. You will need a cross section drawing in addition to that garden plan.

The wall should be properly tanked if you are raising ground levels. Make sure the builder knows what might or might not be coming so he can handle both. Eg don't let him use blocks instead of bricks as they might be visible if the change if refused.

Good luck. Think it will look great. 

14 hours ago, Temp said:

I believe if you were to add the raised beds later it would need planning permission. Levelling or raising ground levels significantly is considered an Engineering Operation.  Example case..

https://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1594106/garden-land-raising-held-unlawful

I would ask the planning officer what you need to do. Perhaps best not to show him that photo as in that it looks more like a large raised deck/patio than I think you are proposing. You will need a cross section drawing in addition to that garden plan.

The wall should be properly tanked if you are raising ground levels. Make sure the builder knows what might or might not be coming so he can handle both. Eg don't let him use blocks instead of bricks as they might be visible if the change if refused.

Good luck. Think it will look great. 

Thank you for the advice, we have emailed the planning officer that approved the plans and asked if we can submit a non material amendment, hopefully that will be the way to go. Noted re that photo! That is way bigger than what we are doing so i've not used it as an example.

Lets hope planning approve !