Cladding meeting splash course

ollieD

Hi all,

Bit of daft one I think - I'm trying to get my head around getting the cladding lining up with the outer splash course of bricks or at least to the plinth brick edge. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but see the attached detail and let me know what you think.

The timber frame supplier mentioned having the exterior splash course of bricks would be the way they normally see the block work. 

Cheers,

Ollie

sectionaldetail.PNG

We have blockwork out of the ground with the cladding sitting proud of it to there is a ventilation space behind the cladding (cladding is cedral rather than wood) . The exposed blockwork is then faced with PIR then a panel of the flat cedral board. But then we don't have a suspended floor.

Edited by Ralph

Did this detail come from the timber frame company? I think the design is problematic. You don't have necessary bottom ventilation gap for the cladding and you are lining yourself up for water problems both at the bottom of the cladding on the outside and because any water ingress behind the cladding has no way to get out.

You can completely remove the 'splash' course as it doesn't appear to serve any particular purpose and will only cost you extra money in both labour and materials.

Is your cladding to be installed vertical or horizontally? If it's vertical you need counter battens.

You also apper to have a cold bridge problem at your wall-floor junction.

Edited by SimonD

Thanks for the input @SimonD, it's a mix of information we've been given and are open to changes. Happy to remove the splash course and bump the 100mm wide blocks to 140 under the block and beam.

Would we PIR board and cover at the front of the block wall for the cold bridge or increase the height and thickness of the 25mm insulation upstand where the screed meets the block to help with that?

23 hours ago, ollieD said:

Thanks for the input @SimonD, it's a mix of information we've been given and are open to changes. Happy to remove the splash course and bump the 100mm wide blocks to 140 under the block and beam.

Would we PIR board and cover at the front of the block wall for the cold bridge or increase the height and thickness of the 25mm insulation upstand where the screed meets the block to help with that?

Hi Ollie,

Yes, ideally you want to insulate the front of the block wall. This should be down to a minimum of 215mm below the top of your floor beams. EPS would be fine, or XPS. It's common to find EPS 200 or 300 rather than 70 detailed here for the perimeter board.

As @Mr Punter suggests you might want to look at your insulation thickness all over and also consider whether rigid insulation is the best option for you in a timber frame - it's more difficult to fit and detail between the studs compared to flexible insulation materials.

• Like 1