Outside Steps

I need to build two steps from front door of new property.  This is not the main disabled access entrance.  Does the first step need to be level with the finished floor level inside or can I step down onto first step.  Also what is minimum width of steps, was thinking 300mm.

If it's not the disabled access i think you can do as you want. IMO, you dont want to be stepping out of a door onto a dropped step, so i would aim for your top step to be roughly the same as your internal floor level. 300mm for a step is ok, but 450mm feels much nicer.

• Like 1

If you will be standing on the step to lock/unlock the door then a depth of 600mm is better as you won't feel like you're about to fall backwards when getting your keys out.

Also, think about where the lock is in relation to where you will stand. Ideally you want to be able to stand with the lock directly in front of you so that its easy to reach whether you're left or right handed so you need the step to be wide enough for that.

• Like 1

Have a look at the building regs, they have some good diagrams. Also, a lot of councils provide guidance online with easy to understand diagrams.

Most of the building regs make great sense and will stop you hurting yourself or visitors unless of course you have been at the neighbours home brew etc. Just follow the regs in terms of rise of step, going / landings and over time you will appreciate it.

• Like 1

+1 

Think I would go whole hog and create a "landing" outside the door thats square - so roughly same width as the door. I assume the door opens inwards? If not then you need even bigger.

• Like 1