Has anyone tiled a wet room floor with R10 tiles and regretted it

Adsibob

Has anyone tiled a wet room floor with R10 rated “anti slip” tiles and then regretted not using an R11 rated tile? We have never had a wet room before, so not sure how important it is to go for the higher anti slip rated tiles. We have found a tile that we really like and can afford, but it is only rated R10. The salesperson in the showroom said that is absolutely fine, but is it? Don’t want to slip!!

On 17/04/2021 at 22:36, Adsibob said:

Has anyone tiled a wet room floor with R10 rated “anti slip” tiles and then regretted not using an R11 rated tile? We have never had a wet room before, so not sure how important it is to go for the higher anti slip rated tiles. We have found a tile that we really like and can afford, but it is only rated R10. The salesperson in the showroom said that is absolutely fine, but is it? Don’t want to slip!!

R10 isn't enough around a swimming pool but should be fine in a wet room unless you deliberately want very extra good slip resistenence.  R9 isn't a good idea for wetroom though.

Couple of things:

- If slip resistence is an issue, there are various products than can be applied to tiles after the fact to improve slip resistence.

- The R rating for slip resistence is determined using "cleated safety boots".  There are other standards that look at bare feet, that could be worth looking at for the product you like.  Such a standard is DIN 51097, where you want "B" for a wetroom.

- For what it's worth e are using R10 in all wetrooms.  In one we are using R9, but will likely apply a product in the shower area only. e.g. https://www.safe-grip.co.uk/

Edited by Dan F
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 21/04/2021 at 00:27, Dan F said:

R10 isn't enough around a swimming pool but should be fine in a wet room unless you deliberately want very extra good slip resistenence.  R9 isn't a good idea for wetroom though.

Couple of things:

- If slip resistence is an issue, there are various products than can be applied to tiles after the fact to improve slip resistence.

- The R rating for slip resistence is determined using "cleated safety boots".  There are other standards that look at bare feet, that could be worth looking at for the product you like.  Such a standard is DIN 51097, where you want "B" for a wetroom.

- For what it's worth e are using R10 in all wetrooms.  In one we are using R9, but will likely apply a product in the shower area only. e.g. https://www.safe-grip.co.uk/

Hi @Dan F thanks for recommending this safe-grip product. Have you installed it yet and are you happy with it? I wasn't able to find any R11 tiles I liked, so we are likely doing both wet rooms with R10 on the floor, and I think that at least for one of them (the guest shower room) we will need to make the floor more grippy.

50 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Hi @Dan F thanks for recommending this safe-grip product. Have you installed it yet and are you happy with it? I wasn't able to find any R11 tiles I liked, so we are likely doing both wet rooms with R10 on the floor, and I think that at least for one of them (the guest shower room) we will need to make the floor more grippy.

We haven't applied any of this product yet, not.  Once we move in, we'll try the shower first to see if we think it needs it.

Used R10 tiles in an 88 flat scheme, same tiles (we had loads left over in another 4 penthouses and the same again in the houses I am doing now (still have a 4 foot stack to get through.

Absolute nightmare to clean especially in hard water areas (you wash them down then the salt gets into the roughness). Will be glad to see the back of them in a few years time. Suffice to say, I am not using them up in my house!

• 1 year later...

We actually en

1 hour ago, Yasemin said:

Hi @Adsibob wondering the very same at the moment. Did you end up using R10 rated tiles? If yes, what has your experience been?

Thank you!

I can't now find the technical data sheet, but we laid R10 tiles on our outdoor patio and they are absolutely fine. I wouldn't want to walk on it on ice, but in rain it is fine. For the shower wet room, we used the same tile as outside, but in a slightly different size. It would have been R9 or R10, probably R10 but can't be sure.

Conclusion: R10 (at least in Marrazzi tiles) is absolutely fine for wet rooms.