Hard wired smoke alarm brand compatibility

Tennentslager

Sons rental flat has two Newell carbon monoxide alarms, unbranded smoke alarm and unbranded heat alarm.

Seems after investigation the smoke alarm in the hall is causing all the others to trigger.

Typically at an ungodly hour and freaking him out as he has autism.

Landlords spark has suggested an Acio replacement but quoted £405 for the lot. The wiring is all in place.

I told the care staff ( at 3am after the third false alarm to rip it off the ceiling to stop the boy freaking out mid meltdown because of the noise) so I've accepted it's down to me to fix.

So, the guys just yanked the alarms off (all of them) and as annual inspection is due I refitted them all. Nothing major damaged other than bits of bruised plastic.

The smoke alarm beeps constantly even though they are all hard wired. 

I asked if they could just replace the hall smoke alarm that's beeping with an Acio but spark says they have to be brand compatible.

Any comments folks?

Aico are the best, few would doubt that, and not the cheapest.  But if the wiring is in place you should be able to swap all 4 in 2 hours and that is being really generous. I bet I could do it in an hour as long as the ceilings were good and no trouble getting a fixing.

List prices two CO a heat and a smoke is probably in the region of £200 but can usually be had for a lot less.

But why is the cost your concern?  It is the landlords responsibility to provide working alarms, and if they are not working it is the landlord that must pay and it is then up to him whether he pays an over charging electrician or finds someone charging a better price.

It's not a cost issue, the landlord is brilliant and having a man with autism as a tenent is not without its challenges.  

For instance, he changed buy to let mortgage and Virgin refused a quote based on having a DWP client. Unbeknown to me he contacted the CEO citing disability discrimination and only told me after he had a new mortgage and a letter from the CEO saying they were wrong, apologised and had set up a working group to make sure that it didn't happen for other folk.

Just wanted to know the spark wasn't at it. The carbon monoxide alarms are clearly branded Newlec not Acio.

Should I expect Acio for all 4 ?