Turn a habitable room into dressing room to avoid fire regs?

Mat1

We have inadvertently created an inner room from one of our bedrooms upstairs. This is due to our open plan layout downstairs combined with a side return extension. To create a protected escape route we would need to create a small hatch between this room into another. I really don't want to do this.

Given we don't actually intend to use this as a bedroom are we able to designate this as a dressing room?

I don’t think you can, but I’m no expert. 

We have a room that is going to be my wife’s sewing room, no need for another bedroom we already have two spare guest rooms. 

But building control have made us install fire escape windows, just in case someone puts a bed in there. 

13 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

So this room is currently accessed via the Landing, has its own door but not a suitable escape opening?

Because the stairs are in the kitchen (open plan downstairs) the hallway is no longer considered an escape route.

The window which would normally be the alternative means of escape is not suitable anymore due to the glass side return directly underneath. 

To give this room an escape route they want us to put in a small door into another room to avoid the hallway altogether ?

3 hours ago, Mat1 said:

The window which would normally be the alternative means of escape is not suitable anymore due to the glass side return directly underneath. 

Some sort of fire escape platform above the glass would be allowed but bit ugly.

In the past I have had to use heat resistant glass in some rooflights so it could be used for escape / rescue purposes.  Bit of a joke really as the glass failed soon after and was replaced with the standard Velux stuff.

11 hours ago, Mat1 said:

Because the stairs are in the kitchen (open plan downstairs) the hallway is no longer considered an escape route.

To give this room an escape route they want us to put in a small door into another room to avoid the hallway altogether ?

I’d suggest you referring to this room more along the lines of a Cupboard.